Author Topic: Let's see your Budget!  (Read 2158 times)

Offline TN Longhunter

Let's see your Budget!
« on: September 26, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »
Ok, I don't care about your household finances.  Well, I do, only to the point that I hope you are doing well and have money to spend at the show next month.  What I'm talking about is your shooting pouch.  I have been listening to "Daniel Boone" by John Mack Faragher, 1993, on an audio book.  He talks about Boone checking his "budget" for an item.  He states that budget is what a leather pouch (shooting) is called.  Maybe I'm behind the times but I had never heard it called that. I mean I've only been shooting BP for 40+ years.  Shooting bag, hunting pouch, possible pouch..... but never budget.  So being the type I am, I had to start researching.  I'm 1800 miles from my library so internet will have to do.  Guess what I found?

Merriam-Webster Dictionary, The first definition listed:
Budget
: a usually leather pouch, wallet or pack, also it's contents.

So, next time you are working on a new shooting bag and the wife asks what you are doing, you can say "working on the budget".  She thinks you are being responsible and you get to work on your new bag. 
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Let's see your Budget!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 01:12:04 AM »
Most likely he referred to his pack and not his shot bag. Could have been a rucksack, wallet(market), bedroll or possible bag  etc.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 01:51:09 AM »
I can remember my grandmother mentioning her "budget" that was some kind of bag that held a bunch of odds and ends.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 05:06:35 AM »
Interesting. Seems like ‘let me check my budget’ as one was opening their wallet seems like something the old fellers out here would say.

That said, here’s my latest acquisition set just put into service to follow along with my Duprey Soddy .36. Game bag and Hunting pouch by Joe Mills.

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 05:09:55 AM »
Bob, you have too many great looking budgets. I will be home in a few weeks and it is a short drive to Short Mt. if you want to pass some on.

One can hope!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:16:19 AM by TN Longhunter »
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 12:45:35 AM »
Well, I figure a feller needs a budget for every rifle, pistol, or gun...it’s a rule, isn’t it?  Here’s one I made to go with my NC style squirrel rifle...with a neat little Tim Crosby flat horn, and a Charlie Wallingford knife.

Greg

“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
I have been very frugal with my budget.  I have ONE nice budget that serves many longrifles.   :)
Joel Hall

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 09:03:31 PM »
For me, I need a budget for each calibre I shoot, rather than each rifle.  If I have to rely on my memory to include everything I need to take a rifle out on the trail, I will forget at least one important item every time.  So I have a pouch and horn for .40 cal, 50 cal, etc.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 11:29:04 PM »
For me, I need a budget for each calibre I shoot, rather than each rifle.  If I have to rely on my memory to include everything I need to take a rifle out on the trail, I will forget at least one important item every time.  So I have a pouch and horn for .40 cal, 50 cal, etc.

I agree and follow the same course. That way I have a short starter that fits, correct size ball and patch, if using pre-cut, and measure for the charge weight.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 12:49:06 PM »
Longhunter;
As long as you are using the net, do a search on 18th century glossary.  The knowledge of how those folks spoke is both entertaining and enlightening

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 06:31:29 PM »
My budget:

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 12:31:58 AM »
That's awesome, I love etymology.  Entomology, not so much

Here's a history of the word "Budget" from the Oxford English Dictionary:

The word budget entered Middle English from Old French in the sense "a leather pouch or bag".  In the 18th century the British Chancellor of the Exchequer, in presenting his annual statement, was said to "open the budget", thus giving rise to the modern financial sense.  The word itself comes from Old French 'bougette', meaning 'small leather bag', from Latin 'bulga' , leather bag. 

Way cool.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 02:06:14 AM »
Longhunter;
As long as you are using the net, do a search on 18th century glossary.  The knowledge of how those folks spoke is both entertaining and enlightening
Capgun,
I don't have to. I was born and raised in rural Tennessee.  My Mothers family has been in the state since the early 1800's. Now what does that have to do with our thread?  When researchers  wanted to know how Elizabethan English was spoken they went to the mountains and highland areas of Tennessee and Kentucky. The rural Scot-Irish still spoke it.  I grew up with my school vocabulary and the folks vocabulary.  Words have different meanings or are pronounced different.  Many is the time I acted as an interpreter between "educated city folks" and back country "ridge runners". 

I worked with a guy raised in Detroit but whose family was from Pikeville. KY.  He knew the dialect from family. We were in eastern KY doing some field work with a guy from Mississippi.  We stopped at one of the little stores in the middle of no where.  The type that sells gas, bread, can goods and makes sandwiches in the back. They asked what we were up to and Detroit and I started talking to them. We got outside and Mississippi looked at us and asked what language where we speaking? Said he didn't understand what we were saying even though he knew it was English. He said we were using the wrong words.

Chowmi,
I too enjoy etymology and thanks for the lesson on Budget. So, meant pouch long before it was tied into finances.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA