Author Topic: Identify my Green River Forge flintlock?  (Read 4562 times)

MikeyBiker

Re: Identify my Green River Forge flintlock?
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 11:13:57 PM »
Couple other thoughts to your questions
- I wouldn’t mess with trying to tighten breech plug. Looks like tang matches top barrel flat. If this were off, Might be different.
- yes, please post photo of breech face. Just to see how bad gunk is.
- I’ve had good service from my L&R locks.

Paul
Paul ~ I'm not too proud to show junky pictures! 
The long one is a 'tactical' flashlight {free NRA renewal gift} shining through the touch hole.
The square one is just a LED inspection light shoved down the bore.
Both show lumpy crud.  I'll invest in a 'fouling scraper' tip like the ones from Track of the Wolf. 
That assumes it is flat/square with the bore which sounds pretty reasonable.  Price is right too.
Thanks for your thoughts.
mike

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 12:03:44 AM »
- I wouldn’t mess with trying to tighten breech plug. Looks like tang matches top barrel flat. If this were off, Might be different.

Paul
The long one is a 'tactical' flashlight {free NRA renewal gift} shining through the touch hole.
Both show lumpy crud.  I'll invest in a 'fouling scraper' tip like the ones from Track of the Wolf. 
That assumes it is flat/square with the bore which sounds pretty reasonable.  Price is right too.
mike

That picture looks like a Pink Floyd album cover.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 02:10:24 AM »
We don't get that in our flinters. Shiny breech faces after cleaning. A breech plug scraper would be money poorly spent & an article never used.
We remove the barrels for cleaning, pins or keys, no different.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 07:44:39 AM »
Mike,
Serious gunk! I don’t think I’ve seen the like. I see soaking and scrubbing in your future. Maybe even pull the breech plug if you are comfortable with doing that. I’m not sure what those little balls of gunk are - look like miniature tar balls.

You’ll be fine. Water and a little elbow grease.

Paul

MikeyBiker

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2020, 04:51:07 PM »

Paul
mike

That picture looks like a Pink Floyd album cover.

Excellent start to my day!  Not to be off subject, but I vote for "Delicate Sound of Thunder" ...
Maybe I'll join those who name their firearm?  Cover is pretty good except for the near guy is sitting kind of awkwardly, and that might spoil my steady hold on the target picture....

OK, back on subject:  I'll start with the scraper as soon as it arrives, then go with elbow grease and might even collect the crud particles for intense qualitative analysis by internet experts.
Thanks for the grins.
mike

MikeyBiker

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 01:22:04 AM »

hosting photo
OK, the scraper arrived and went "skritch, skritch, etc." when tried...  It came out almost perfectly clean but for a few speckles that looked like pepper.
So I scientifically held the bore vertical as a torpedo level against the range ramrod would indicate, and I dripped maybe a dozen drops of Shooter's Choice Firearms Bore Cleaner ~ which says black powder right on the label...  I let it work for a couple hours or so and tried again, producing results as shown.  I also made a video of how a toothpick can dig around in the mess.  Ugh!

That scraping effort was much easier, the sound much gentler, and the goop was certainly conquered.  That was the first real excavation, the black bubbly gunk looked the same but it was becoming flexible and slippery.  I repeated the process about six-seven times until the brass 'spade' came out mostly clean, then I wrapped a shooting patch around the end and did more until that also came out almost perfectly clean.
Finished up with dry patches, then lastly with a light coating of Rem oil, and declared ready to store and then shoot.

Yesterday, we went to Jasper-Pulaski to loose some balls.
Unfortunately, my son, grandson and myself arrived about 20 minutes after opening, and there were NO rifle shooting positions open, with people lined up waiting for each one.  After 90 minutes, we went to the handgun area and I just made a bunch of noise with my .44 Mag Ruger single action.  Back to the rifles, same situation with overcrowding.  Gave up and went home. 

I hereby suggest my original post/question has run its course.
It also seems the side discussions have also been handled with the finest sense of respect and community I've experienced in many years.

Thank you all!
This gratitude also extends to the moderators who put up with my bumbling attempts to get the fine muzzleloader understood and working again. 
If the weather holds, and if anyone is interested, I'll give a shooting report when I'm able...
If not ~ I hope everyone stays healthy and happy.
mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 02:46:56 AM »
Mike- I can see by your muzzle picture, that with just a little bit of work - a minute or two, you can have a perfectly smoothed muzzle that loads
like a dream.
The technique is very simple. Just shove a cloth patch into the bore, down an inch or so is all, to collect stone and steel.
Use 320 emery or wet/dry paper. Push into the bore with the end of your thumb and rotate your thumb and wrist, twisting motion, back and forth, back and forth, then every 15 seconds or
so, rotate the barrel 180 degrees and have at it again. The smoothing process should be accomplished with one piece of paper or emery.

Here's before and after:

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

MikeyBiker

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2020, 08:44:46 PM »
Wow, ya got me!
I immediately stuck my nose right up to the front face machining marks, and agree it would be easier on the old arthritis if everything was smooth and pretty!
So I took a couple of patches and watched {with feeling} how they conformed and slipped into the bore.
There IS just a slight radius from the flat to the bevel.  Yes, it is small but it is quite smooth and does not grab or cause wrinkle-bunching as it gets compressed to a tight fit.
... ... and another, more gentle, transition to the cylinder section on the lands.
I used the "flat" of a wad tip, the squared shape being more drastic a test than my round lead ball. 
Frankly, the increased pressure to get it introduced fully into the bore was about the same as that needed to shove it further and further down the length.
This was the case whether I fooled around with dry, spitted, oiled or solvent patches.  That was fun.

A secondary factor in my approach is the appearance. 
The brown 'rust' bluing {is that even the right term?} is nice on my eyes, and I have no idea how I would repair it if I used abrasive down into base steel.
No, I'm not worrying about a glint out in the field that might alert a deer.  I'm just fascinated about how pretty that gun presents itself...

Really I should go for a hyperbolic section "trumpet" shape like the old blunderbuss mouth?
Just kidding, you have given me some good thoughts here! 
Thanks for them and that beauty example you used.
mike