Author Topic: Swiss vs Goex velocity  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Swiss vs Goex velocity
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 03:51:40 AM »
As have I, however the point of chronographing, is to help find what you deem to be important, if indeed you need more knowledge.
Whether or not you partake of this form of precision, is your own choice as-are your accuracy needs & desires.
Some people need more precision in their guns & want to know what they are producing - it, as most things, is a choice. Some people
question or fail to understand why others do as they do. I am merely attempting to answer those questions, likely doing it poorly, but
it's the best I can do at this time & beer level.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 09:31:44 PM »
Thank you Bob.

I was told that you can roughly add 10% when going from Swiss to Goex to get in the ballpark velocity-wise.  I believe I feel the difference in faster recoil with Swiss.

The same rule of thumb for going from 3f to 2f.  It won’t be exact, but you’ll at least be in the neighborhood.  I don’t have a chrono.  It seems to work pretty well based on POI on target - hence being an okay number to use.

Bob, perhaps a video of a chrono test - ladder up charges Swiss versus Goex, and 3f versus 2f?
I am wondering if the percentage would change as the charges change? 

Interesting questions.  🙂

God bless, Marc

Possibly a better way to look at this is through the history of black powder.  If you go back to the 1800s you see musket, rifle and sporting as the three types of black powder made for use in guns.  These type titles relate to the type of ingredients used in each along with differences in amounts in the formulation and differences in the processing of the powders.  In theory  rifle type (burn rate) powder would be about 10% "stronger" than a musket burn rate powder.  A sporting type powder would be about 10% "stronger" than a rifle burn rate powder.  In different English, French and German made sporting powders the strength could be closer to 20% stronger than a rifle type powder.  Bore size and projectile weight would be used to determine which type of powder was used and in what grain size.  At the close of the U.S. Civil War the major powder producers ceased making a musket type powder.  Used in large caliber round ball muskets and the Civil War guns shootings the minnie elongated balls.  Simply a way of controlling the rate of pressure rise in the bore and how fast that pressure would collapse before the ball or bullet left the muzzle.  In my .45 and .50 caliber round ball rifles the Swiss powder gave what might be called a fairly sharp recoil. It gives a fairly rapid pressure rise and then a fairly sharp pressure drop during a firing of the gun.  With the various types of black powder you are altering such things as the amount of gases produced during the firing and the temperatures at which these gases are producing during the powder combustion.  In the case of the sporting powders the ingredient formulation is different than that seen in a rifle type powder.  The sporting powders burn a good deal hotter than a rifle type powder.  They produce less gas volume but at a good deal higher temperature.  So one powder combustion is completed the pressure behind the projectile drops faster than with a rifle type powder.  This thing about gas volumes and temperatures was the difference also behind musket versus rifle type.  Musket powders gave a volume of gases a bit higher than rifle but at a bit lower temperature.

Bill K.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 11:44:46 PM »
Thank you Bill.  I have felt that "sharper" or "faster" recoil of Swiss.  Even dropping the charge to have apples-to-apples on charges, the Swiss feels sharper than Goex. 

Please keep posting your experiences Bill.  There is always a wealth of information contained from the man who has been there and done that. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 02:30:16 AM »
Thank you Bill.  I have felt that "sharper" or "faster" recoil of Swiss.  Even dropping the charge to have apples-to-apples on charges, the Swiss feels sharper than Goex. 

Please keep posting your experiences Bill.  There is always a wealth of information contained from the man who has been there and done that. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

When I first shot the Swiss in 2000 it was from the first shipment into the U.S. through GOEX.  I shot it on the 100 yard range at the gun club.  At the time I did not realize just how strong it was.  So I was using the 3F Swiss in my .50 GPR.  Once I got a handle on it's ballistic strength I quit with the 3F in the two different .50 cal. rifles.  I had noticed that when I sent a GOEX round down through the 100 yard target nothing flew up out of the dirt pile behind the target.  But when I shot the same charge volume with the Swiss I would get this stream of dirt rise up behind the target and go higher than the target.  That still has me puzzled as why the Swiss seemed to hit so much harder in the dirt.  While here.  You will also note that when shooting the Swiss the barrel will get hotter faster with that powder compared to others.  That higher combustion temperature 'pumps" more powder combustion heat into the barrel's interior surfaces.

Bill K

Offline wolf

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2020, 02:36:46 AM »

5 shots 50yds goex 3F 80gr. 62 jaeger. don't know the speed but it will shoot through a treated 6x6, it will kill anything that needs killin here in SC,,,,,,,,,,

The velocities are merely interesting to note and to find loads that produce great shot to shot consistency. That usually, although not always, contributes to good accuracy.
Thus, if you chronograph a bunch of loads, out of curiosity, you can pick ones that produce consistent results and THOSE should give the best accuracy.
A gun that shoots into 8 to 10" at 50 yards will kill bush deer all day long, however I do not consider that accurate enough - and if that is the best it did, I would not own it.
all true, but you can see my gun ain't starvin for accuracy either,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2020, 09:25:51 AM »
You are right, if indeed a 2"plus group is all that is needed or desired.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V