Author Topic: Flintlock Furniture  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Flintlock Furniture
« on: September 23, 2020, 04:31:42 PM »
In a recent post, mention was made of "bronze buttplates." That started me to think. Right now I'm working on a new place to do what it is I do (I'm not sure you could call it building a gun, more like trying.) Soon, however, I will be trying. I have a stock blank and a barrel, but I'm going to be in need of a nice brass butt plate and triggerguard. We all miss the nice brass Mr. Goering had to offer. I contacted his daughter who's info I obtained by reading through about 4 years worth of prior posts. We have corresponded and she did not have the parts I was interested in. She said she hoped to get to the foundry next year.
My question is this. Where shall we turn to to find something similar to the quality we enjoyed in the past? The last time I bought a buttplate from TOTW, which was in 2013, it filed down to a pale color, not at all like the gold looking stuff I got from Mr Goering.
Eric Smith

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Flintlock Furniture
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 04:39:22 PM »
Mike Brooks has a good selection. I think Cabin Creek also has good stuff.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »
she did not have the parts I was interested in.
It might help if you told what parts you are interested in.  The forum's Ouija board isn't working.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
she did not have the parts I was interested in.
It might help if you told what parts you are interested in.  The forum's Ouija board isn't working.
I inquired about a set for a Bonewitz, but it might not hurt to pick up some other parts just to put back in inventory. Early Virginia, Rupp, Neihart, Beck. Dave Keck lists a Bonewitz buttplate on his website but no corresponding triggerguard. I have the KRA disks for all of the above and have gotten so I can differentiate the subtle differences in these rifles. Also need some pistol hardware, but I don't even have a barrel for that yet, just the wood plank.
Eric Smith

Offline Not English

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 07:41:53 AM »
Eric,

Do not write off TOTW. They're the only ones that I know of that have a full size picture of the item.  This makes it quite easy to modify furniture to fit a particular style. Unless you have a hard copy of the catalog, you'll need to be able to print a pdf. Reeve's stuff is good, but at the same time, I had a trigger guard I was modifying for a transitional Jaeger/longrifle that broke 3 different times. My mentor suggested that I should just get a new one, but I really liked the shape I had going. After silver soldering the breaks, it is still holding together 30 yrs. later. Reeve's stuff is good design wise, but it still is dependent on the foundry that's pouring them.

Dsave

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 07:28:19 PM »
Over the years, I've purchased dozens of butt plates and trigger guards from TOW, both in sand cast brass and investment cast brass-like material.  The sand cast brass parts file and bend easily and end up very nice.
I have used Dave Keck's investment cast brass parts too, and they are dead soft lovely brass.
Avoid, if you can, investment cast bronze.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »
Made a big mistake on my 2nd LR which was a Lehigh....bought a Bplate and TG from TOW and both were bronze. The pic shows what happens when bronze ages after a few yrs.....a big color difference between the bronze Bplate /TG and the brass Pbox. Didn't make that mistake again.....Fred