Author Topic: Any ideas where this Relic came from?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Any ideas where this Relic came from?
« on: September 24, 2020, 12:17:24 AM »

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Any ideas where this Relic came from?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 03:31:29 AM »
Jonathan Dunmyer rifle

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob D

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 06:27:07 AM »
Rob, I have examined by photos of, or personally, more than 60 Dunmeyer  rifles and all the carved ones except one had the familiar closed loop.  On that one the carving was nearly the same except it did not have the closed loop.  On page 113 of Whisker and Yantz's  GUNSMITHS OF BEDFORD, FULTON, HUNTINGDON, & SOMERSET COUNTIES you will see a rifle at the bottom by Jacob Meier with carving that is similar in style to the carving on your rifle.  Also at the top of the page you will see another rifle attributed to Jacob Meier that has the same patch box finial as on your rifle.
That rifle does have many Dunmeyer features.  Apparently the Dunmeyers and the Meiers  were close.  If you google "Gunsmiths in Bedford and Somerset"  you can get to the Korns family  page concerning the gunsmiths.  Tap on Jacob Meier and you will see another rifle with Dunmeyer features and "J. Meier, Somerset" engraved on it in script.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »
Thank you for the direction Bob.  I certainly see the similarity to a Meier incised carved rifle I saw at the Bushy Run Show a couple years ago. 

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 09:22:58 PM »
This rifle is now mine.  It arrives tomorrow.