Author Topic: Worst blank of maple.....ever  (Read 1423 times)

Offline flehto

Worst blank of maple.....ever
« on: October 10, 2020, 02:46:15 PM »
Approx. 15 yrs ago a Bucks County LR was being built from a blank  and the stock was perhaps 75% completed and the area being chiseled was behind the breech on both sides of the tang. Was chiseling the right side and a layer of wood 1/8" thick  popped up but was still attached further down the wrist. So I stained the edges and applied super glue and continued chiseling. A short while later another layer 1/4" thick  popped up {included the previous repair} and stained the edges and superglued it. When the 3rd layer popped {included the 2 previous repairs}, the stock was used for kindling in my wood burner. Not too many hrs were wasted on this stock, but it did aggravate me some. Never experienced this w/ subsequent builds. Always  wondered as to why this wood was so  loosely layered because it didn't take that much force to separate the layers. .....Fred

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Worst blank of maple.....ever
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »
Fred, I’ve heard that wood from wind damaged trees can do this (called the “shakes”) but it’s hard to imagine a maple log being weakened by wind. You could use a good sized maple log as part of a ramp to load a bulldozer on a truck if needed. So probably just one of those mysteries.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
Sounds a bit like what we call "Timber-bound" up here. 
The tree has grown with a twist or stress, and when you start cutting on it, it relieves the stress and the twist straitens out, ...making a flat board a propeller in the process...
Sounds like something of that sort.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 05:46:09 PM »
What has been traditionally described as "wind shakes" isn't from wind damage at all, but rather some bacteria that causes separation along growth rings.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 07:00:21 PM »
Also can come from when the tree was felled internal stresses are released and can start internal separation between the growth rings.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb