Author Topic: Don Bruton's latest creation  (Read 4144 times)

Offline MuskratMike

Don Bruton's latest creation
« on: September 25, 2020, 06:07:44 AM »
It is my pleasure and privilege to announce that today my good friend and the builder of my Mathew Gillespie rifle introduced to the world his latest creation. Don believes every rifle deserves to tell a story of it's own. This rifle was created for a South Carolinian who he describes as a fellow 'ol coot. It is a .32 caliber rifle representing a 1780 to 1790 era rifle that was well used but not abused Southern rifle with a strong Virginia influence.
As the story goes the owner lost his sliding patch box lid on his fine but aging rifle. After looking through the forest with no success he took the rifle to the gunsmith in his village where a pivoting  patchbox was created. The buttplate now shows a riveted iron patch to cover the old lid slot. The box cavity shows witness to this fact with the still existing dovetail slots and spring groove. While at the gunmakers shop a crack in the wrist was skillfully repaired and reinforced with a copper wrist wrap. The gunmaker also chose to install a copper vent pick overlay under the cheekpiece.
The statistics of this very unique rifle are as follows: The lock is a Jim Chambers early Ketland fitted to a grade 5 red maple stock. The good people at Rice barrel company provided the 38-inch "A" weight .32 caliber swamped barrel. It is fitted with a full set of hand forged iron mounts and a handmade trigger and plate. The front sight was made from a 1964 silver quarter with an iron base. There is no real decorative carving, only a simple beavertail around the breechplug tang and simple raised moldings along the toeline of the buttstock, along the upper forearm and on the face of the cheekpiece. Length of pull is 14 inches, drop is 3 1/2 inches, and has a castoff of 3/16th of an inch. The buttplate is 1 3/4" X 4 7/8 inches. This rifle weighs exactly 7 lbs.
You can easily tell that Don loves making guns with the look of "time & history" and in fact has become his passion. He is quick to point out his work in this "aged gun" arena has been greatly influenced by the works of Eric Kettenburg, Mike Brooks and Jack Hubbard.
For the record I have already claimed ownership of this rifle at anytime the new owner no longer wants or needs it.

image hosting sites
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Don Bruton's latest creation
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 12:06:33 PM »
Excellent work as usual by Don. Im lucky enough to have 2 of his rifles an he is working on a smoothbore for me now. I can spot Dons guns from across a big room mixed in with other rifles. His Boone pattern is unique an very comfortable shot shoot no matter the caliber
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 05:15:12 PM »
 ;) ;) ;)... Excellent build,... Don is one of the best contemporary builders around that has never gotten the recognition he deserves, except from a few of us who appreciate this look,... He builds an honest Southern Colonial/Frontier rifle that  historically could have belonged to an early frontiersman in these Carolina backwoods,... I'm still kicking myself for not buying "that one" back about 20 years ago,... anyone who owns one of his is most fortunate,.... regards,.... Cades Cove Fiddler,....

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 05:43:44 PM »
AWESOME WRIST REPAIR!!!!!!

And I love the use of copper.  Great rifle!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 01:45:38 AM »
   This style just flat appeals to me. Like the wrist repair an the pivoting patch box...Well done indeed...Oldtravler

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 04:39:51 AM »
Dana, I could not  agree with you more. Outstanding gunmaker outstanding gentleman.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

galudwig

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 11:42:10 PM »
I love everything about the rifle, but to me, the front sight seems out of place. I can see a silver blade crafted from a coin, but why leave evidence of a modern coin on a rifle whose story is from the 1780's? Seems a few simple file strokes to remove the eagle would made the sight less contemporary. Is it intended as a modern era replacement for an old, but well cared for rifle, or what? Just curious as to the sight's chapter in the story?

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 12:50:00 AM »
"The Founding Fathers made an appropriate choice when they selected the bald eagle as the emblem of the nation. The fierce beauty and proud independence of this great bird aptly symbolizes the strength and freedom of America."

The purpose on Don's rifles is the same plus to watch every shot leave the barrel and guide it straight and true.

Dan
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 04:37:33 AM »
Amen to tha Dan. Couldn't have said it any better.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

galudwig

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 05:34:46 AM »
"The Founding Fathers made an appropriate choice when they selected the bald eagle as the emblem of the nation. The fierce beauty and proud independence of this great bird aptly symbolizes the strength and freedom of America."

The purpose on Don's rifles is the same plus to watch every shot leave the barrel and guide it straight and true.

Dan

I respect that. Mr. Bruton describes what he makes his front sights from on his website, but does not mention the symbolism. I've long admired the simple beauty of Mr. Bruton's "Boone Guns," but never noticed or read that much detail into his front sights. In my opinion though, it still doesn't fit the story.

Offline EC121

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 05:13:46 AM »
It looks out of place, but it isn't my rifle.  If the buyer likes it, all is good.
Brice Stultz

Offline DBoone

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments on this rifle.  Very much appreciated.

Concerning the front sight........ This is something that many times is requested by a customer after offering sight/blade options for their rifle.

I will have to admit that , at the time, I probably would have never thought of the front blade being made from a coin (modern or otherwise), showing coin features, if it were not for a Hershel House rifle with an almost identical front sight that I saw at Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair in 1988.  I might be wrong but I think it was also shown in his rifle making booklet that came with his early gunmaking videos.  I think most, if not all, of us would have to admit that we have been influenced somewhere along the way by Hershel's work...either directly or indirectly.

I thought then, as I think now, that it was a small, neat feature that was never intended to mimic the front sight of an original rifle, but did, indeed, make that rifle unique. 

I took it a step further with my rifles and when I did use a modern silver quarter (1964 or before), I would always try to feature the eagle watching the ball leave the barrel......strictly a patriotic symbolism reflecting and promoting the rifle that helped pay for our freedom.

If something like this bothers a person it is so easy to tape off the barrel at the front sight and with a fine file obliterate the features on both sides of the blade and successfully arrive at a more traditional look.

Indeed, today when every feature of a contemporary rifle is examined to the "nth" degree it is probably easy to uncover bits and pieces that would have never been found on originals.  But that's another story.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 06:50:01 PM by DBoone »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 11:08:44 PM »
I always found his work impressive from the photos I've seen over the years.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 11:27:17 PM »
Don: I for one like it and on our next project might just have to have one.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline AZshot

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 04:46:56 PM »
I like the coin silver front sight, I've seen this on some period guns over the years too.  And I love my rifle he made too.

galudwig

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 05:41:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments on this rifle.  Very much appreciated.

Concerning the front sight........ This is something that many times is requested by a customer after offering sight/blade options for their rifle.

I will have to admit that , at the time, I probably would have never thought of the front blade being made from a coin (modern or otherwise), showing coin features, if it were not for a Hershel House rifle with an almost identical front sight that I saw at Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair in 1988.  I might be wrong but I think it was also shown in his rifle making booklet that came with his early gunmaking videos.  I think most, if not all, of us would have to admit that we have been influenced somewhere along the way by Hershel's work...either directly or indirectly.

I thought then, as I think now, that it was a small, neat feature that was never intended to mimic the front sight of an original rifle, but did, indeed, make that rifle unique. 

I took it a step further with my rifles and when I did use a modern silver quarter (1964 or before), I would always try to feature the eagle watching the ball leave the barrel......strictly a patriotic symbolism reflecting and promoting the rifle that helped pay for our freedom.

If something like this bothers a person it is so easy to tape off the barrel at the front sight and with a fine file obliterate the features on both sides of the blade and successfully arrive at a more traditional look.

Indeed, today when every feature of a contemporary rifle is examined to the "nth" degree it is probably easy to uncover bits and pieces that would have never been found on originals.  But that's another story.

Hello Mr. Bruton,

I meant no disrespect whatsoever with my thoughts about the front sight on this rifle. You are right about Hershel using coins for his front sights, leaving evidence of them, and illustrating doing so in his rifle building video companion book. He even talks about doing so in Foxfire 5. I could be wrong, but I don't think he creates backstories for his guns though. Their stories begin with construction, with subsequent chapters written by their successive caretakers.

I have no issue with backstories. All I'm saying is that for a backstory about a rifle owned by an old coot in the 1780's, a plain silver sight would have seemed more believable. If it were my place, I may have added another chapter to the story. Maybe the old coot's great-grandson brought the rifle to you to clean up and get in firing order again after a long hibernation in his grandfathers closet. Perhaps you replaced a damaged or missing front sight for him and blessed the rifle with your symbolism so that would shoot as straight for him too.

Bottom line: This rifle melds traditional and contemporary features into one fine rifle. I appreciate it without a backstory. Much like Hershel's guns, I feel yours are as unique as they are beautiful. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else with my comments. 

Offline DBoone

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 04:41:30 PM »
No offense taken, my Friend......on the contrary, I appreciate your point of view and your comments are excellent "food for thought" for future guns that have a story.

It is fine gunmakers and ALR members such as yourself that making our journey with the longrifle so enjoyable.

My dues are paid with custom guns and I have the last one on my bench now.  I have pretty much stopped taking custom work for the past 3 years and my future will be "spec" guns that have been crawling around in my mind for many years.

I somehow lost my love and attraction for the "new look" on a rifle long ago and the rest of my work will be "well seasoned" guns and hopefully with a story to go along with them that matches their appearance.

I have my Friend and most excellent writer, Muskrat Mike McGuire, always available with ideas and creative imagination to help with the development of a story line!  If I had his talent and way with words I would most likely be writing books instead of making guns....

I will always appreciate your comments, thoughts and suggestions on any of my work because the real reason I make guns is my love for the "process" and the constant opportunity to learn.  I also get to apply some of the things I learned when I....many years ago.... accepted restoration work on old, originals, which were mainly Southern guns.  Most of my influence has been from original NC, Virginia and Tenn. rifles. 

I have never tried to copy the work of any of the old masters as that takes a special talent and desire that I do not think I have.  My main desire has  always been to offer "my work" and let it stand for whatever it has become.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 05:14:34 PM »
  Don your whatever it has become...is one well made gun. With a lot of heart an soul put into them...Oldtravler

galudwig

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 05:12:14 AM »

My dues are paid with custom guns and I have the last one on my bench now.  I have pretty much stopped taking custom work for the past 3 years and my future will be "spec" guns that have been crawling around in my mind for many years.

I have never tried to copy the work of any of the old masters as that takes a special talent and desire that I do not think I have.  My main desire has  always been to offer "my work" and let it stand for whatever it has become.

I look forward to watching the next chapter of your gunbuilding story unfold!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
I really love Don’s gun work. I think he found a solid architecture and a warm, tasteful finishing style.  Like other fine makers, it results in an immediately identifiable “Don Bruton” style. At Camden last year I walked past a well kitted gentleman, and caught sight of his Don Bruton gun.  I skidded to a stop to ask about the gun, and struck up a friendship.  Perfect use for a gun.  :)
I don’t recall seeing a Bruton gun I wouldn’t like to own. My personal taste is not towards replica wrist repairs, but everyone is different.  Thank you for sharing this gun. I really look forward to seeing Don’s spec guns.  God bless, Marc

Offline Cotton1of2

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »
Very nice, thanks for posting Mike!