Author Topic: Bowie  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Bowie
« on: September 25, 2020, 05:26:00 PM »
I have long been a great admirer of the Musso Bowie. I was wondering with all the talented craftsmen belonging to the ALR, if anyone had any experience recreating a duplicate, functional copy of this knife. I hate the cheap imported ones who are just for show.

Or the Searles Bowie.

Eric Smith

Offline Marcruger

Re: Bowie
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 08:39:17 PM »
I'll bet Walter and Robert Hill could make that for you.  They've forged similar blades this summer. 

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 01:24:46 AM »
Well I’ve seen a copy of the Musso bowie done by Wick Ellerbe. I believe you can see it on his website in the gallery.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 03:47:56 AM »
 :D  Mr Elerbe knows a thing or two about knives and sheaths.   Two thumbs up. 

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:33:32 AM »
Mr Elerbe posted in 2007 that he was not taking any new orders at this time because of backlog. I doubt much has changed. It would be nice, though. He makes a sweet Bowie.
Eric Smith

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 08:35:51 PM »
Tim Ridge swampfox knives has done copies of both

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 09:29:59 PM »
Hi Eric. I answered your email, but it was kicked back. My ATT Yahoo email would not accept your address for some reason. I saved it, so here it is.
Very sorry, but I am unable to do knife work due to health issues. I am unable to see well enough to do detailed work. I became friends with Joe after meeting him at a show. I made one exact copy of the knife that a fellow in Texas bought. If I made another, which I can't, I would charge $1800 to $2,000 for the knife and an appropriate scabbard. The Musso knife is a fantastic weapon. Most believe it heavy and unwieldy, but this is not the case. The original weighs in at 1lb 12 oz., and is very maneuverable in an experienced hand.  The blue print you show is, I believe, the second that came available. I had the first issue. If you find someone to make a copy for you, I suggest you demand it to be exacting to the blue print. Many have made copies, but few followed the blue print to the exact details, and added or deleted some. The only real question is the cap on the butt, because it is missing, and anyone's guess as to what it looked like. I followed Joes suggested version, but believe the blue print you have there may have a better idea of what it may have been, which is more simple than what I did. One major detail many miss on the grind of the blade, is that it begins as a hollow grind, soon becomes more flat, then morphs into a slight convex. At this time, I know of no one I could recommend to take on the project for you. Just be careful of your choice if you want exacting details. If I run across someone, I will let you know. Good luck, and best wishes.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 09:50:48 PM »
Thank you for responding. I have a lot of respect for this knife and for the work I see displayed on your website. Maybe one day I will find someone who is challenged enough to attempt to fabricate an exact copy. To be honest, 2000  is way more than I could afford at this time. Thank you for your time , sir.
Eric Smith

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 02:28:18 AM »
Eric - You should reach out to Jim Bensinger. I believe he'd take this project on.
His phone number is: (802) 917-1789
His email is jwbensinger@gmail.com

Cheers, Jordan

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 07:55:22 AM »
Try Mike Mann @ Idaho Knife Works....he did some knives for the movie Reverant.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 04:40:12 PM »

Eric Smith

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 03:06:35 PM »
So it looks like you found a maker?