Author Topic: Barn Gun Fans?  (Read 8361 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Barn Gun Fans?
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 05:52:14 PM »
9/32” lol. Unless you get a custom RR drill you’ll need to decide between 1/4” and 5/16”. Most would go with 5/16”. But most originals in small calibers had small ramrods. 1/4” is not uncommon to see in .36 caliber original percussion longrifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline yip

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »
  thanks Rich; i'll go with a 5/16.  never went with a small cal like that, just thought it would be something different. smallest i went was 45cal on rifles i have built and went as high as 54cal. just thought i'd give it a try.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 09:59:33 PM »
I wonder if a critter will care if the gun that puts him or her in the skillet is engraved
raised carved,incised or had exquisite hard ware or was it a lock,stock and barrel tied together with
bailing wire?? :) :) :)
Bob Roller

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2020, 02:36:02 AM »
Bob; my sentiments exactly. Every rifle fancy, normal or plain has its own beauty. Tomorrow I am going to clean house at the big OTF shoot with my Don Bruton .32 Gillespie
"barn gun".
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2020, 02:49:20 AM »
I’m fixing to jump right into a crazy little barn gun. 36 inch 40 cal., flintlock with wrought iron mounts, beech stock. I’ve never worked any beech but my buddy out in Iowa says that I’m going like it. I’m wanting to make something for a person of small stature, something that will fit a young man or woman as well as an oversized oaf like myself.  The barrel is a 13/16” so it’s going to be a feather weight.
Stay tuned.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline yip

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2020, 03:14:37 AM »
 Stoner; can't wait, i ordered a Rice barrel in 32cal 44"long a profile  and can't wait to get started. desiding to include a home made butt plate or not.i hope to read more.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2020, 06:41:02 AM »
Yip. I would forgo the "wear plate" (often called a butt plate) if I was building another SMR or "barn gun". Don't miss it on mine and very authentic and period correct. Just my 2 bits worth.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »
Yip. I would forgo the "wear plate" (often called a butt plate) if I was building another SMR or "barn gun". Don't miss it on mine and very authentic and period correct. Just my 2 bits worth.

Some time ago,Mike Brooks posted a picture of a half stock English rifle with no butt plate'and
it was a good looking gun.I think he called it a Game Keeper gun or Deer Park rifle.I have a
half stock flintlock rifle started and am considering this idea IF I ever get around to working on
it again.It has very low priority now.
Bob Roller

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2020, 01:10:08 AM »
 I have bought a lot of hog rifles in my day and  built a few. The old ones, if you put them in your lap, every one has a story to tell.

Offline Ross Dillion

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 03:59:10 PM »
Buttplates are highly over rated.

Have agree with Mr. Mike Brooks.  After building several dozen SMR buttplates for myself and customers. These thing tend to fight me every step of the way. ☹️🤣

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 04:27:44 PM »
 :o :o... But Ross,.... you seem to fight them back every step of the way and end up winning,... !!! ... I like your work,... You've got it right,... !!! 

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »
Since a number of you guys mentioned Allen Martin making very nice shimmels, I'd like to have you check out this link. It shows a number of photos and the conversations Allen and i had about the gun he would make.

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/allen-martin-builds-a-schimmel/

A number of my shooter friends said, "Allen didn't leave an extra oz of wood on this, did he." I don't think it weighs 6 lbs.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2020, 12:47:07 AM »
That shimmel is fabulous !     What caliber is it ?

Offline Ezra

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2020, 03:59:52 AM »
I’ve always been a function over form kind of guy so barn guns have always really appealed to me.  As a matter of fact, my next project (I still have to decide if I’m going to build it or have someone else build it) is probably going to be a barn gun.  I’ve got the lock, stock and barrel just waiting...

I would be interested if anyone could identify some sources that discuss the history of barn guns.

Ez
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:34:02 AM by Ezra »
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Kevin

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2020, 07:51:58 PM »

I would be interested if anyone could identify some sources that discuss the history of barn guns.

Ez

I just read an article titled "David Boyer, Schimmel Rifles of Berks County" by Timothy Lubenesky, KRA in "Selected Articles from the KRA Bulletin (Volume 1 - 30) published in 2005 by the Kentucky Rifle Association.

Kevin

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
5/16" works just fine for .32 as well as .36 and .38, even .40.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2020, 02:09:19 AM »
Kibler used a 5/16” rod on their .45 SMR.

Offline alacran

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »
Buttplates are highly over rated.
I guess that would depend on where you use the gun and for what purpose. When hunting in the mountains of Montana I always thought a buttplate was a good option. Sometimes the going is steep and rocky and the rocks more often than not have edges, where I grew up in Iowa not so much. I built my first "barn gun" in 1967. But I only have done 3 all before 1970.
And I have seen guns that still lived in the barn. Though not MLer.
Dan

Hunting "Out West" in AZ buttplates are a must. So are moccasins made by the Danner tribe.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Flintster50

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2021, 07:23:27 PM »
I too like plain flintlock rifles. I think that to some degree we over embellish the guns made today. I have to believe that the vast majority of guns made 200 years ago we rather plain because that is all the buyer could afford. I'm looking for a BUILDER that will make a nice plain but quality rifle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2021, 08:05:01 PM »
I too like plain flintlock rifles. I think that to some degree we over embellish the guns made today. I have to believe that the vast majority of guns made 200 years ago we rather plain because that is all the buyer could afford. I'm looking for a BUILDER that will make a nice plain but quality rifle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Don't assume that people didn't have any money in colonial America.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »
I think people in colonial times were not a lot different than those of today.

Here's a quote that comes to mind.

"People are real funny. They spend money they don't have to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like."
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2021, 10:30:16 PM »
Don't assume that people didn't have any money in colonial America.

One of the things that startled the soldiers, both British and Hessian, sent over to suppress the Revolution was just how prosperous the average colonial farmer seemed to be. Being used to European-style revolts of starving peasantry, they couldn't figure out why people who were obviously doing so well, with plenty of food and land, would seek to rebel, and came to the conclusion that the colonists were the most spoiled and ungrateful people who had ever lived!

The colonies had real problems with cash flow due to the lack of hard currency in circulation, which made paying for certain things (like Government-required stamps) difficult, but that doesn't mean that they were poor per se, and the local gunsmith was one guy that could be paid in bushels of corn or cured hams  instead of coin, though I imagine at some point he had to acquire coin to pay for European-made parts. However, the parts of a gun that had to be imported from overseas - the lock and barrel - were present on every gun, and the extra bit brass and the labor to create a fancy gun may not have been as expensive in terms of opportunity cost as the nominal cost might indicate - i.e., "10 dollars" more for carving and an engraved patchbox might sound unthrifty, but if that ten dollar cost can be payed in surplus corn and hams that I can't eat, store indefinitely, or trade for their theoretical value without a lot of trouble (because all my neighbors also have corn and hams and the local general store, as a consequence, isn't offering much in trade for corn and hams), then I have got ten dollars in value for them and the gunsmith has enough to feed his teenage boring-machine-power-source.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling