Author Topic: 3rd model Brown Bess Locks  (Read 3560 times)

Colonial Riflesmith

3rd model Brown Bess Locks
« on: August 22, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
I was looking at some antique 3rd model BB's and the locks were dated. I can't find any references of BB locks with dates on them. I have never seen dates on BB locks in the past. Question is,,,
were dates put on BB locks by the manufacturer, or is this guy trying to pull a fast one. Any input would be helpful.

Offline rallen

Re: 3rd model Brown Bess Locks
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:10:36 AM »
Brown Bess locks were marked with engraved dates, but the 3rd model was introduced in 1795. By that time, dates were not engraved on the lock plate, due to economics. I can't find the reference, but I believe dates stopped being engraved during the late 1760's. I can't recall seeing engraved dates past the 1760's. I will try to check further.  There is a distinct cutoff when the Ordnance board did away with the dates.  I would be highly suspicious that the lock was original to the pattern if its dated.  Could be a replacement lock of an older pattern or someone wanting to make the gun something it's not.
Ryan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:16:46 AM »
I had a 3rd pattern bess with the lock dated 1826.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:24:55 AM »
I believe I have seen a first or second model Bess marked 1763.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline rallen

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »
According to DeWitt Bailey, 'No English locks are known and dated after 1764 when the process of dating locks was officially abolished'. There are Irish Dublin Castle locks marked 1767 & 1769. Once again, that's pre- 3rd model.  My interest is American war periods, so I can't comment on whether the practice was re-instated or, it could be possible that an individual regiment could mark and date their own locks?
Sorry, This isn't much help.
Ryan

doug

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 10:46:46 PM »
     I have two bess type locks but made for the East India Co and dated 1787 and 1815.  I think it was around 1809 when the British Gov was desperate for guns and bought the entire years consignment of EIC guns and I would expect those locks and guns to carry both EIC stamps with dates plus authentic British miltary stamps.

cheers Doug