Author Topic: Germanic Hunting Rifle  (Read 15802 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Germanic Hunting Rifle
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2020, 04:28:39 PM »
Spectacular piece of walnut, your composition and execution are equal to it!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline alex e.

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »
Amazing  !  Work for all to aspire to.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline t.caster

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2020, 04:47:58 PM »
Beyond beautiful and excellent, I think this piece is SPECTACULAR! It has so many great individual details that all flow together into a cohesive work of art.
Congrats to the lucky new owner, you have an heirloom!
Tom C.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 05:01:02 PM »
Thank you, all!

Richard..., I don’t know what it weighs, I’d guess a little over 8 lbs or so.  The barrel has a pronounced taper and flair, and it seems to handle and point nicely.

Thanks again,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »
Wonderful work Ed!!  In design, the German hunting rifle rivals the English counterpart, and this example fills that bill perfectly.  I love the intricate floral carving which is next to impossible to pull off in Black Walnut.  Magnificent, all around!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2020, 06:58:50 PM »
Amazing  !  Work for all to aspire to.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
Now I know what you've been up to.   :-) 

Jaw-dropping work Ed, especially your carving and engraving.  I especially like that tang shell.

Wow.   

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2020, 08:07:09 PM »
Very nicely done Ed!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2020, 08:50:11 PM »
Edward !

You've outdone yourself on this one !! Unbelievebly precise work all around.  Did you do the steel castings ?  And the side plate....did you relief carve / engrave  that from steel plate ?  Is the muzzle cap horn or ebony ?  I have always been personally big on using the patch box to hold tools for any gun and I love the hinged, mounted tool holder you did in this patch box.  The breech engraving is stunning and the carving, as Taylor noted, is not only beautifully done but difficult to do in black walnut.  The intricacy is demonstrated in all of the carving, but I noted the delicacy of the molding around the patch box in particular. 

I hope you made this rifle for yourself.  If I had made a rifle that spectacular, I would be hard pressed to turn loose of it.   ;)

Just just an outstanding rifle.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2020, 09:02:25 PM »
I'm not typically someone who likes the guns with all the embellishments but I have to acknowledge this one as a true beauty!!  It is a real piece of art and you are obviously a master of the art!  Great job!!

Fine work indeed.Like scottmc said about not liking embellished guns,I am the same way
but as an old friend,Big Bill Hendersen used to say,"It would only be an oaf or a poltroon
who couldn't appreciate this one.
Bob Roller

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2020, 09:17:47 PM »
"It would only be an oaf or a poltroon
who couldn't appreciate this one."

I wish I'd thought of that one.    :D

Offline BJH

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »
Absolutely stunning!! I love Germanic styled guns like this. I only wish I had half the ability it took to create this gun. BJH
BJH

Hessian

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2020, 10:48:56 PM »
Mein Gott im Himmel!
That is such a beautiful rifle!
If ever you seek to "Re-home" it, I would be interestedI posted before reading the whole thread. One lucky man to own a rifle like that!
I once had one with similar lines when I was younger but it was much more plain. Unfortunately I was much less prosperous and had to sell it to meet expenses one month. I miss that rifle something terrible. IIRC a fella in Arizona bought it. Can't remember his name. I think I sold it on the old "Historical Trekking" board.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:58:18 PM by Hessian »

Offline draken

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2020, 11:38:58 PM »
Lucky indeed, is the soon to be owner of that exceptional piece!  :P
The pictures made me drool all over my keyboard.    :)
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2020, 11:43:31 PM »
Outstanding, of course, and I'd say more if I could close my gaping mouth!  I love jaegers and that one's primo!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 01:36:35 AM »
Beautiful work and great carving in black walnut. I think the design and execution of the patch box and molding is top drawer work. Could you please take a few close up photos of the rear and front sights?
Thanks Richard

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2020, 02:44:04 AM »
Ed, I don't know what to say that hasn't been already been said, except thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of work with us. I always enjoy your artwork.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2020, 02:48:33 AM »
Ed, that is some kind of wonderful right there..  For a gun that is heavily decorated, it's just all the right designs in all the right places, with  outstanding execution.  Nothing interrupts the eye as it travels across your work.  That is beyond well done...  A great piece of wood as well.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2020, 02:52:25 AM »
I've enjoyed reading the many well deserved accolades from your peers.  Personally, I think you should sign up for a few more Ron Scott Jaeger seminars and workshops!  But then, you probably wouldn't get much out them at this point.  ;)

I understand that there were 278 phone texts between you and the owner discussing various details; 2 phone calls; and 148 pictures/sketches of the build concerning other details.  To say that you kept the owner in the build is clearly an understatement.  You have definitely found your niche in gun building!  Congratulations on an unbelievably, gorgeous build!   
Dan Akers

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2020, 03:08:42 AM »
Wow Ed!!  I really like the metal sculpting and engraving.  I think Frederick the Great would employ you.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2020, 03:27:28 AM »
Jeez o Pete..., thanks very much, all..., really appreciate it!

Richard..., I don’t believe I have any photos of the front sight, sorry...  Here are two of the rear sight:

Dave..., thanks!  I did not cast the furniture, other than the wrist inlay.  Btw, I used your wood screw soldered to the underneath of the inlay trick to secure it in place.  Excellent method!  I did chisel the side plate design from a piece of steel.  The muzzle cap is horn, per every original I’ve personally ever seen.  I stole the idea of the jag holder in the box, so can’t take credit for that one.  Thanks again!

Acorn20..., I had no idea I’d made that much of a pest 🤣🤣

Again, many thanks to all!  It means a lot coming from a group of people like yourselves!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 04:00:40 AM »
That's an incredible piece, Ed. Delicious everywhere you look. I'm especially impressed with the sideplate, as it's not easy to pull that oof when you start from a blank piece of steel.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Phip

• Starting Member
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2020, 04:59:43 AM »
I'm partial to the trigger guard.  Your restrained decoration, Ed, make it all the more elegant.  Superb.

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2020, 05:02:40 AM »
Beautiful !

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2020, 04:36:35 PM »
Thanks for the rear sight photos Ed. Well done, just like the rest of the piece.
Richard