Author Topic: Bob Hoyt gain twist barrel?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline tippit

Bob Hoyt gain twist barrel?
« on: October 01, 2020, 04:54:09 AM »
Looking for information on Bob Hoyt gain twist barrels? I have an option on a 47 Cal which is 7/8" x 33 " (incl. breech) on a Hawken. Thanks...tippit

Online EC121

Re: Bob Hoyt gain twist barrel?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 04:48:20 PM »
There isn't enough difference between the two types(straight and gain) of rifling to worry about.  I have a .62 gain Hoyt gain twist rifle.  It is more accurate than I can shoot, but so are all my other rifles.
Brice Stultz

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 12:07:05 AM »
Gain twist is about 500 fps faster than non gain twist all things being equal according to Bobbys tests.  Im trying to order a 40 cal in gain twist from him.

Offline martin9

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:37:58 AM »
500 seems a bit much....sure it's not 50 fps faster?

Online EC121

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 02:25:28 AM »
If I can gain 500fps using the same load as a straight rifled barrel, sign me up for two of them thar barrels.  According to Pedersoli's charts that would make the gain twist 50cal. run over 2100fps using 80gr. of powder.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:33:25 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline tippit

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 03:04:56 AM »
Thanks for the info as I had No Idea what I was dealing with...tippit

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
I had been taught that the gain twist advantage was accuracy.  I had not heard they were faster, but it makes sense that the less twist at the breech, the less initial resistance.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 10:22:35 PM »
I had been taught that the gain twist advantage was accuracy.  I had not heard they were faster, but it makes sense that the less twist at the breech, the less initial resistance.

According to those who have shot Harry Pope's rifles said that they started with a 1 in 16 twist and finished
with a 1 in 15 and 3/4 at the muzzle.The last inch of the muzzle in any rifle will determine accuracy.
Bill Large made them for round ball guns and they worked really well and while no chronograph was available
they seemed to give higher velocity.I helped Bill make a rifling guide for one type but do not remember the
start or finish of that one system or any of the others.Bill told me of going to Aberdeen proving range to try
to find out why the 8.8 cm (88 millimeter) gun the Germans used was such a fearsome performer and after
hearing it go off one time told them it had a gain twist and it DID. The twist was not a noticeable radical type
but enough to get the job done.I talked to  a former Panzer 2 Commander (King Tiger) and he said the 88 was
a feared gun used with a tank as a platform and he said he examined the remains of Shermans and Russian T34's
and couldn't understand why America sent people into combat with such a sorry tank when they had to know
what they could encounter. He knew the Russkys didn't care one way or the other about tanks or troops.

Bob Roller

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 11:38:18 PM »

According to those who have shot Harry Pope's rifles said that they started with a 1 in 16 twist and finished
with a 1 in 15 and 3/4 at the muzzle.The last inch of the muzzle in any rifle will determine accuracy.
Bill Large made them for round ball guns and they worked really well and while no chronograph was available
they seemed to give higher velocity.I helped Bill make a rifling guide for one type but do not remember the
start or finish of that one system or any of the others.Bill told me of going to Aberdeen proving range to try
to find out why the 8.8 cm (88 millimeter) gun the Germans used was such a fearsome performer and after
hearing it go off one time told them it had a gain twist and it DID. The twist was not a noticeable radical type
but enough to get the job done.I talked to  a former Panzer 2 Commander (King Tiger) and he said the 88 was
a feared gun used with a tank as a platform and he said he examined the remains of Shermans and Russian T34's
and couldn't understand why America sent people into combat with such a sorry tank when they had to know
what they could encounter. He knew the Russkys didn't care one way or the other about tanks or troops.

Bob Roller
Good point, BUT, the krauts lost the war part in parcel because they were arrogant!
 Back to the original post, most of these barrels are far more accurate than we mortals will ever be. Standard twist, gain twist, whatever, it makes little difference with us holding a gun offhand.
Great discussion y’all!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:42:34 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 09:47:07 PM »
Has been proven that the "gain" in accuracy is actually produced with a tiny amount of gain in the twist.
It does not have to be much, but it must be there to show advantage.  Now, how that relates to the Jim
McLemore barrels, I do not know, but think they are 4150 bl. with a gain twist.  Member here, Dphar has
just such a barrel & it indeed, is a "shooter".
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 04:02:32 AM »
The 500 is what I was told by Stan Hollenbaugh.  Bobby told him that.  Bobby made 2 exact barrels.  One with and one without gain twist.  That was his results.

I ordered a 44in .40 cal today with gain twist from him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:29:32 AM by Keith Zimmerman »

Jeff

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 01:04:35 AM »
All I can tell you is that I am excited to get my barrel from Mr. Hoyt later next week.  Jeff

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 04:50:19 AM »
500 fps increase does not sound at all correct. I can see a 50fps increase as being reasonable though.
Galations 2:20

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »
I would expect little or no increase.  There would likely not be enough to discern without a lot of shots. Gun to gun & load to load variations would likely
produce as much difference, which is why I thought there would have to be a lot of shots fired - for a comparison to be made.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V