Author Topic: Pleased but Confused  (Read 4157 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Pleased but Confused
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 12:43:55 AM »
While it's normal for fired patches to be frayed around the edges, it's not normal for the patches to be cut and/or burned.  I don't use denim as often as I use canvas, but so far I've not had a patch failure using denim.  Worn-out denim is not all that strong, new is better.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 06:34:30 PM »
The bottom line is COTTON ROTS, everything seems to weaken cotton material, sunlight, chemicals, both in detergents, and even unknowns in your super whiz patchlube. So using recycled denim is just asking for trouble. If I have to use a denim type material for patching, I prefer pocket drill. Look at the ragged pair of jeans you were cutting your patches from. Now look at the front pocket where you carry your keys, there’s a good chance that even though the jeans are in rags the pockets are still good. That’s tightly woven material, and thats what you want for patching.

Hungry Horse

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2020, 03:18:06 PM »
This is what I use for patching and have never had it fail.  I use the .018 mainly, but the .015 holds up great too.  I buy the UNTREATED canvas.  God Bless,   Marc
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=62049.0

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 12:23:41 AM »

Secondly, is this material 100% cotton? Many "jean' denims are not 100% pure cotton.

Daryl,

For a bunch of years all of the denim pants I saw down here were marked 100% cotton but that was not the case.  These were being made in large factories in China.  Then I saw fabric made with ramie.  Also found out it was used in Asia in cotton blends with less than 50% cotton.  While the ramie has some advantages over cotton the disadvantages look like it would be inferior in our BP round ball patches.

I have a gut feeling that a good bit of the so-called cotton fabric out of Asia is the high content of ramie fabric.  Since the ramie is also cellulose a burn test would show nothing.

The ramie is a cellulose fiber extracted from the Chinese Nettle also called China grass.  Wildly differing claims on how durable it is.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 02:48:11 AM »
Interesting information, thanks Bill.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Jeff

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2020, 08:06:52 PM »
Hi Todd, Enjoy you season.  Pack the freezer and when the season is over try out all the great ideas and suggestions.  There is a lot of shooting wisdom in these guys.   I have a new flintlock and and am now able to get out and work out a favorite combination of powder, ticking, and ball.  It is finally dipping below 100 degrees.    Jeff

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2020, 08:22:58 PM »
I got up this morning, Friday 16th, to fresh snow and still snowing. I don't think it will stick around though, more than mid afternoon.
The temp is supposed to climb up to 39F.
Daryl

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 09:06:57 PM »
I got up this morning, Friday 16th, to fresh snow and still snowing. I don't think it will stick around though, more than mid afternoon.
The temp is supposed to climb up to 39F.
Good day to hunt some bunnies! :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2020, 02:35:50 AM »
It's wet - really wet. I went out and cut up an alder for my trout-smoking blocks this afternoon.
REALLY wet.
Bunny hunting is best around here the end of Feb to mid March, when the weather is warming up from winter and there is still 6' of snow in the bush
covering up all the undergrowth.  It's a snowshoe hunt, for snowshoe hares, like this one, that buddy Neil shot one spring.

Daryl