Author Topic: S. Buchanan rifle  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
S. Buchanan rifle
« on: October 07, 2020, 07:20:36 PM »
A friend has had this rifle passed on to him from his GG Grandfather.  A great example of western PA longrifles.  The question is
who is S. Buchanan?  Unknown to Rick Rosenberger.  Anyone heard of the maker?

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Re: S. Buchanan rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:43:31 PM »
Great rifle, I like it.
C. Michael Briggs

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »
Nice rifle!
And certainly not his first or only.
John Robbins

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 01:48:29 AM »
       Another great Western PA rifle, how did this guy fly under the radar this long?  As was said this certainly was not his first or only gun.  Another nice find Rob. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 01:52:43 AM »
I like it too - good stuff.

Buck

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 03:40:38 AM »
WOW, it is bold.   I cannot even write my signature half that good, let alone engrave it.   I would buy that gun just for the signature.   Nice gun, Thanks for sharing.

greybeard

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »
I had a Samuel Bucanan...  Halifax.  Daulfin county.  heavy  gun 30 cal  1in across 36 in long
Bob                                               

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »
I had a Samuel Bucanan...  Halifax.  Daulfin county.  heavy  gun 30 cal  1in across 36 in long
Bob                                               
Was yours signed like this?  This rifle appears to have some relationship with Fleeger or Allison
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 02:46:41 PM »
Fleeger side plate from The Rosenberger Kaufman book.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 02:49:50 PM »
Fleeger Patchbox from the Rosenberger Kaufman book

post image online

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 02:55:03 PM »
Allison Patchbox

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
I am leaning toward Fleeger Because of the quality of the engraving

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 03:00:35 PM »
 :) :)... can you get an up-close photo of the lock,...? ... I really like the hammer,... what is the stamping on the plate,...? ... thanx,... CCF,....

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 04:26:00 PM »
I don't believe the lock is not original to the rifle which was originally flint.  It's marked Jos Goulcher

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:53:14 PM by Shreckmeister »