Author Topic: Good needle files  (Read 7908 times)

eagle24

Good needle files
« on: August 21, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »
I need a good set of needle files.  I have found them ranging in price from $12 - $130 for sets.  Anybody have a recommendation on a good set?  I don't want to order a set that was junk, but I also don't want to spend $130.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Good needle files
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »
Grobet files are the absolute best. I know they are pricey, but they will last for years.

You may be better off buying individual files, as with sets, you pay for files you never use.

Basic shapes:
Triangle
Half round
Square
Round

Get one of ea in #0, #2 and #4 cut if your wallet allows.  If you go for just one cut, I'd get #2
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »
I buy the good Swiss Grobet files individually as necessary, but the cheap ones I use quite a lot, and they actually can work pretty well.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »
Ghall,
Acer's recommendations are good ones.  Add to his list a Barrette file.  This file has a flat bottom but the top has very shallow angled flats with no teeth.  It is great for getting into tight corners and cutting only one side at a time.  Friedrich Dick files are also excellent and sold by Rio Grande jewelers supply.  Most jewelry suppliers will have Grobets.  Buy a good handle as well.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rick landes

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »
Try to find the Grobet bendable needle files. I have a set I gave about $80 for. Just cannot remember where these were from. I know Brownells wanted to carry them, but said they were too pricey. These ARE worth it!
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

roundball

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
I need a good set of needle files.  I have found them ranging in price from $12 - $130 for sets.  Anybody have a recommendation on a good set?  I don't want to order a set that was junk, but I also don't want to spend $130.
Don't know how often you will be using them but I recently needed a set just for the occasional tinkering with sights on a new Virginia...somebody recommended a set of Craftsman needle files...I was skeptical as they were only about $18, but they arrived and seemed to be of pretty decent quality...and they worked perfectly for what I needed.

Online Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »
Other than the diamond files we use at work, I've only ever used the cheap types available in several stores. Had them over 12 years now and they are still working, through both metal and wood.
Psalms 144

northmn

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 05:17:02 AM »
I ahve used the cheap ones with fair results as my use of needle files is limited in gun building to sight work.  Just picked up a set of diamond files at a cheap tool sale that cut hardened steel for $20.  As stated they really do have limited use compared to my other files.

DP

Robert58

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 07:09:22 AM »
WOW. I can't believe tha prices on Needls Files now days. I have a 12 pc set of Nicholson files #2 cut 6-1/4" that I bought in 1973 for $12.00. I just went to MSC Industrial Supply and checked the price and a new set would set me back $184.95. And in the last 35 yrs. that I have owned them there is probably only 2 or 3 that I havn't used. As said above buy the different types as you need them but buy the best that you can afford and take care of them. I think the only one I have had to replace is the round one. I keep breaking off the tip. And for the job I use it for that little tip has to be there.

Robert

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 07:58:09 AM »
I have worked as a tool & die maker for a jewelry manufacturer for 44+ years. Grobet files are the absolute best and are the only brand of needle files we ever use. You can literally file a Nicholson with a Grobet! I once surface-ground a larger Grobet file, so that I could test the hardness. It was around 68 Rockwell C, which is incredibly hard. In comparison, our jewelry dies for die-struck pieces, and jewelry trim tools, are around 60 to 62 on the Rockwell C scale, and that is plenty hard.

Robert58

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 11:24:03 PM »
That's good information. I have always used Nicholson. If Grobets are better than Nicholson it sure will save me some money. Grobets are alot less expensive, at least at MSC Industrial Supply.

Robert

dannylj

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
It is kind of a coincidence but I too needed a few needle files to finish up new sights for my old Hawken. Went to the West Monroe, La. Police sponsored gun show this afternoon and the friend who actually made the rifle had a booth set up. He had a box of new needle files with no name (Chinese probably) and was only asking 5 for $2.00 or .50 each. I picked out a few and just tried them - they work great. May not last long but it seemed the thing to do at the time.   Danny

jwh1947

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 03:24:20 AM »
You guys are right, Grobet is the standard way to go.  There are some other good Swiss and German files, but they are rarely available here in USA. 

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »
I generally stay away from any hand tool made in that "far away" country at any cost even if I can only afford one file at a time.  Over the years that philosophy has paid big dividends in lowering my blood pressure!   Hugh
H.T.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 04:00:03 PM »
The cheapo files are usually OK for a while, but they glaze quickly, and you will need to replace them more often. When you want a good inside corner, say on a tumbler notch, a good file is most appreciated. A poor file is much cussed at, and wastes much time.

What you do when buying the right tool is saving yourself time and frustration. As you get closer to the end, you buy better tools, trying to maximize what little time you have left.

On another note:
Anyone know how they made files back in the day? We see the results all the time, high end jaegers, gorgeous British fowling pieces, fancy French fowlers, all with beautiful file and chisel work on the locks, barrels, and hardware.

Who made the tools for the gun smiths? This would be a specialty trade. Files, rasps, chisels, gouges, scrapers, drills, saws.....a toolmaker, perhaps, and subdivisions within that trade as well.

Anyone know how they put the teeth on rifflers, teeth all over compound curved surfaces? By the way, a high quality file has teeth cut all the way to the edge of the tool, where the cheap ones often miss that area.  A file is an amazingly complex little tool.

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 06:54:28 PM »
I read an article somewhere (?!!) about how files were made way back when, and they just used a hammer and chisel to cut the teeth - one at a time. Guess they got pretty good at it !

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
I have made my own rasps and files for cleaning up my background carving. It is a LOT of work to make a file, and to make one with even height teeth is even more challenging. That's why I think it was a specialty, work that you would have to get in the rhythm of to be successful.

Acer

rdillon

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 09:16:26 PM »
If you search ebay you will find them also local flea markets are a good choice too.