Author Topic: lancaster trade gun???  (Read 1319 times)

Offline old george

lancaster trade gun???
« on: October 08, 2020, 03:03:35 AM »
I was over at the Lodgewood Arms website checking out civil war arms when an ad for an original "Lancaster trade gun" caught my eye. According to the write up it was smooth bored with the exception of the last couple inches near the muzzle which were rifled. Has anyone any knowledge of this? see the following.  https://www.lodgewood.com/Original-Lancaster-Indian-Trade-Rifle_p_4936.html

george
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 03:29:45 AM by old george »
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: lancaster trade gun???
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 04:07:10 AM »
Sometimes originals that were smoothbore at the time of collecting had fake rifling put in them to fool collectors who would pay more for a rifle. “Rifling” was filed at the muzzle to deceive. I doubt any guns were done this way at the shop when made.
Andover, Vermont

Offline old george

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 04:18:09 AM »
That was my thoughts also. The write up itself was strange stating it might have been done to fool the western tribes. It's obvious that the weapon in question was converted to percussion. Can one tell if the rifle was original by feeling the tiger stripes in the curly maple stock as stated in the write up?

george

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:21:53 AM »
The rifle appears to be by Riley Rogers of Utica, New York, based on its name stamp, patchbox design, guard and single trigger.  Not sure how it can be a "Lancaster trade gun" if originally from New York. Those New York rifles are really getting around these days, often with new provenances and new attributions.  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:29:03 AM by Tanselman »

Offline old george

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 06:53:43 PM »
Tanselman,
  I agree about it not being a lancaster if it's a NY crafted rifle/smoothbore. Thanks for the input.

george

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »
There’s a lot of mis-labeling and fairy tales lately. Not sure if it is willful or not.
Andover, Vermont