Author Topic: Powder Measures & Helpful People  (Read 1698 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Powder Measures & Helpful People
« on: October 09, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »
Over on the Gun Building section I posted a thread where I have been trying to figure out what was in the old, now unavailable, Kasenit so those of us who use it can make it ourselves.  In the process of reporting on my trial and error experiments several members have PM'd me to offer help or advice or, in a couple of cases, offer me some old Kaseneit that they had in the shop and were not using.  Being on this site always restores my often waning faith in mankind.  People here are helpful and go out of their way to offer advice and assistance in a myriad of ways.  Reading about my efforts to recreate Kasenit, one of the members sent me a bag of it he was not using and we informally talked about a trade of some kind rather than any payment for the Kasenit.  After a few PM exchanges, I made him these two powder measures in a fair trade.  Not only do we all appreciate the history and art of the long rifle and its era, I love the fact that such people are more than happy to trade in the old fashioned way of that era as well.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Powder Measures & Helpful People
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Over on the Gun Building section I posted a thread where I have been trying to figure out what was in the old, now unavailable, Kasenit so those of us who use it can make it ourselves.  In the process of reporting on my trial and error experiments several members have PM'd me to offer help or advice or, in a couple of cases, offer me some old Kaseneit that they had in the shop and were not using.  Being on this site always restores my often waning faith in mankind.  People here are helpful and go out of their way to offer advice and assistance in a myriad of ways.  Reading about my efforts to recreate Kasenit, one of the members sent me a bag of it he was not using and we informally talked about a trade of some kind rather than any payment for the Kasenit.  After a few PM exchanges, I made him these two powder measures in a fair trade.  Not only do we all appreciate the history and art of the long rifle and its era, I love the fact that such people are more than happy to trade in the old fashioned way of that era as well.

Davec2,
Thanks for verbalizing your experience with ALR folks. You are correct in saying that folks here are helpful and go out of their way to offer their experience and knowledge. We have a great group of members and I am proud of them.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 03:15:30 PM »
Dave, that is some crisp and exquisite work that upholds your usual very high standards. 

Yes, we have some great and helpful folks here.  Thank you for rewarding good folks.  We usually hear about bad news and bad people, so it is great to hear the reverse. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Hornbuilder

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »
This has made me smile for the day ! Love it when it all works !!!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 09:11:04 PM »
Nice powder measures that look as if they would throw a decent charge, especially the larger diameter one. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V