Author Topic: J H Fisher barrel  (Read 1136 times)

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
J H Fisher barrel
« on: October 11, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
I wanted to see if any of you all may have any information on this barrel maker. I was gifted this fine rattle trap. This gun in my opinion comes from the days early in the hobby when guys found some old pieces laying around and cobbled something together to deer hunt with when states started creating muzzleloader seasons. The barrel is marked J H Fisher as shown. This barrel was in another gun at some point. Places where underlugs were present are on the underside of barrel. The barrel was longer at some point and cut and new breech plug installed. The lock appears to be a generic 19th century lock. At any rate I took barrel off and tested it at twice what I would ever put in it normally which was 80 grains 3F. Everything held fine. I put the barrel back on and shot 40 grains through it 25+ times and it shoots reasonable enough to plink with at 30 to 35 yards. I don't plan on entering a match with it anytime soon. Although it could hold its own against some modern production guns. I like how somebody moved the rear sight down the barrel which makes it easy for me to see. The barrel is .45 cal but I believe it was re-rifled at some point
 The rifling does not look 19th century. The only reference I have found online to a JH Fisher was a builder pops up from 1850s in New York. Any additional information would be appreciated. I think this is an antique barrel. But JH Fisher may be from 1960s or 70s and just be another redneck like me. The stock is definitely modern era and is not great craftsmanship. I know y'all are the experts which is why I am asking. Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:22:56 PM by olbuck44 »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: J H Fisher barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 08:52:45 PM »
Does the stamping look as old as the rest of the parts and barrel? From here the letter form looks 20th century.
Andover, Vermont

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:21:00 PM »
Good point.  I will get a magnifying glass out and check. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 09:40:51 PM »
Who ever moved that rear sight forward wasn’t any spring chicken, that is definitely in geezer territory. I’ve thrown together a couple of these myself, but never got the urge to put my name on ‘em.

Hungry Horse

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 10:51:40 PM »
Good point.  I will get a magnifying glass out and check.

I'm still a rookie in this ball game.  I looked at the stamping with a magnifying glass and it appears to have been in there a long time.  It isn't fresh.  Some of the stamping is deeper like the "I" in Fisher.  Some isn't as deep as it may be worn or they didn't stamp it as deep as in the "R".  At any rate, they didn't line up the letters well.

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 10:56:40 PM »
Who ever moved that rear sight forward wasn’t any spring chicken, that is definitely in geezer territory. I’ve thrown together a couple of these myself, but never got the urge to put my name on ‘em.

Hungry Horse

LOL.  I wouldn't be this smart to put this together.  I guess you are saying it might be time for me to visit the eye doctor.  I keep wondering why I am falling off in woods walks.