Author Topic: SSF 6 High Strength Silver Solder-Update  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
SSF 6 High Strength Silver Solder-Update
« on: October 12, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »
 Anybody ever use it? I'm trying to modify an Iron trigger guard, bow to rear tang and thought I'd try some. I'm think'n half a rod would do what I want.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 11:45:30 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: SSF 6 High Strength Silver Solder
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 09:59:50 PM »
I use something similar -- it's called silver braze and it melts at around 1200 degrees. It has a high silver content (over 50%) and has a very high bond strength. I have two different diameters 1/16" and 3/32" one fluxed and one I removed the flux from so I can add the flux that I want and amount. I got the stuff from my dad who was a welder for a large company.

The joint that it produces is VERY STRONG and it will join just about anything except aluminum.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 11:52:27 PM »
I had to modify an English trigger plate with the hole in the wrong place.  I took it to my local jeweler, who jigged it up and silver soldered a new piece to the original plate.  He was able to put a thin piece of silver solder between the two pieces and fused them together.

This was the original configuration before I started.  I hacksawed it off.

I cut a plate for him to silver solder to the original.

After he did so and I received it back.  The repair was strong enough to stand slight bending during fitting.

finished plate after restyling to achieve what I needed.  Hole placement is very critical on English rifles.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 11:58:33 PM »
Tim.

Yes I have used it a lot and keep it in stock. It is super good stuff - I used it to solder shotgun barrel together and on trigger guards for custom guns. It is my favorite high temp silver solder at lower temp.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 03:59:09 AM »
Good info, guys. I’ve been brazing when probably not needed. But looks very pricey.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 04:03:20 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 06:25:32 AM »
Nice file work too.
Richard

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
 Thanks guys. Pricy yes, two 18" rods from Muggy weld run 59 bucks plus shipping. And your right Rich, I brazed it to start and didn't like the results at all, it was my lack of skill and shaking (getting old sucks) more than anything.

Tim

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
It looks like that alloy is "extra easy"?   I have some "easy" from Rio grand and use a map gas torch with it.  It works nice on nose caps and such.  IT is just the right viscosity for me.
Colorwise it seems to disappear on a nose cap.  The extra easy seems to be the 56% alloy as shown by the OP.  The thin wire works best for me.   

I used to have some sheet silver solder that flowed like water.  A little square of it would suddenly melt and flow into the joint instantly.  Any ideas on what alloy would be? 

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »
Hey Tim before you pay the big bucks, how are you making the new joint? If you are going to rivet the sections first you don't need something like ssf 6.  You can get some 56% silver braze wire and corresponding flux cheaper (or maybe fluxed rod) - and really that's probably overkill. You could go with a lower silver content filler.   

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 06:49:55 PM »
What heat source do you need to use this? What heat source is needed for the "silver braze", oxy acetylene or can mapps gas be used?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
I can braze small parts with propane on a brick cubby. It takes patience and hearing the whole part. I can do this using real brass and borax. So heat source just depends on size and time and whether one wants to just heat the joint, I think.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 07:58:50 PM »
On small parts, propane with a mapp gas nozzle will work fine, but mapp gas is still faster heating.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 07:59:27 PM »
What heat source do you need to use this? What heat source is needed for the "silver braze", oxy acetylene or can mapps gas be used?

When I make 2 piece nose caps I form the body then use an oversize the flat piece in a pin vise, sit the nose cap body where I want it on the flat front piece sprinkle powdered flux around the joint then use my Mapp gas or Propane to heat the bottom of the flat piece. when red I touch a piece of 1/32" silver braze to it, it flows instantly. Then trim/file the excess metal. The pin vise is not much of a heat sink like larger clamps/vises.

I wish I knew what brand the silver braze is but its a large roll my dad had when he was working. I suspect its at least 40-50 years old maybe more!
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 10:20:37 PM »
Some small items can be silver brazed with propane and some fire bricks arranged into a small horseshoe shape baffle to contain the heat but the heat needs to be contained to thoroughly heat up the part to get the braze to flow. I use oxy / acetylene because I have it. I have used propane with a plumbers torch and large nozzle with good effect. If I did not have oxy / acetylene I would use Mapp gas for silver brazing.

The diameter/thickness of your silver braze wire/rod/ribbon also has to be considered if too thick you need more heat.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 04:40:01 PM »

John, here is the link on the SSF-6

https://www.muggyweld.com/product/ssf-6-silver-solder/

Tim

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
Bernz- o matic has a phosphor bronze rod that brazes brass fairly well..  the melting point is in the 1590-1650 range!
On steels and such its not real problem. Might be a bit cheaper that the SSF and can be found at hardware store..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »

John, here is the link on the SSF-6

https://www.muggyweld.com/product/ssf-6-silver-solder/

Tim

Thanks Tim

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 05:27:32 PM »
That was some real nice work on that trigger plate T.O.F.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: SSF 6 High Strength Silver Solder-Up Date
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 11:44:17 PM »
  I stopped by a machine shop and the guy gave me a piece of silver solder and a gob of flux. Worked fine with MAPP. Still some trimming and filing to do. Now I wish I had the triggers in hand before I went this far.

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

Re: SSF 6 High Strength Silver Solder-Update
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 03:52:33 PM »
Keep at it Tim.  I want to see this one as a cool finished pistol.  :-) 

Offline G_T

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 12:18:19 AM »
Scota4570,

The old way of making hard silver solder was to use two parts sterling silver and one part cartridge brass. The cartridge brass has Zinc in it of course. Zn helps with flow and provides some protection from oxidation while under heat. I suspect to make softer or harder solder, one could merely adjust the ratio of sterling to cartridge brass. Extra Hard would be four parts sterling to one part cartridge brass by weight, for instance. That would melt at a higher temperature and have less of a grey color cast to it. That makes the solder joints stronger and harder to see with assembled sterling pieces.

I expect cartridge brass was quite easy to get - spent cartridges, and every jeweler had sterling scrap on hand. Melt it together, pour an ingot, roll it out, and there is fresh sheet solder. Skipping steps of course.

I can probably dig around and find formulas if you really need something specific. But it is readily available for purchase so hardly worth the bother unless you want it in multiple ounces quantity or in a different form factor than the usual thin sheet or thin wire.

Gerald

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 03:20:33 AM »
I find it a lot easier to simply buy it at Praxair Canada, a welding and gas supply company here in town.
Other places have it at varying prices.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V