Author Topic: "Muskrat" Mike has to eat crow  (Read 1545 times)

Offline MuskratMike

"Muskrat" Mike has to eat crow
« on: October 21, 2020, 05:53:48 AM »
As most know I never wipe between shots regardless of whether I am at the bench, hunting or on a trail walk. I have found no difference in accuracy using either Mink Oil/grease or pure Neatsfoot oil. I do have to admit on my .54 37-inch barreled Christian Springs/Edward Marshall barreled hunting rifle it does get harder to seat the ball after prolonged shooting. Today for a reason I can't explain I decided to swab after each shot (using 1 cotton cleaning patch soaked in Isopropyl alcohol followed by 1 dry cotton patch). I actually got better (by a very little) accuracy but it was very noticeably easier to load throughout the session. No way to do this hunting but then I should be shooting only once (with maybe a final coupe-d-grace) so it won't matter.
I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Even a stubborn old Irish one! 
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Maven

Re: "Muskrat" Mike has to eat crow
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »
Well MM don't stuff yourself  with crow as the swab/no swab decision may have more to do with the bore itself (e.g., smoothness); powder brand, amount, and granulation; relative humidity; and patch - RB fit.  There are likely other variables, but this is what immediately strikes me.  (Btw, I've tried it both ways and don't swab with a wet lube until I see flyers and hard starting/seating with a grease lube.)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 05:56:46 PM »
At the range it’s easy to swab after each shot. I feel I get more consistent shots by swabbing between shots. I’ve always swabbed between shots at the range. I only shoot smoothbores. For me, at the range, a mixture of 50% Ballistol and 50% water makes loading noticeably consistent. But then, I shoot with a tight ball and patch combination Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 07:44:36 PM »
Interesting comments about the consistency of loading. That is what we feel when we load - consistent loading pressure, never changes for 5 shots or 50.
We don't wipe, but if you must wipe, or feel it makes a difference, have at it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline wolf

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 11:38:01 PM »
if I use goex I do not wipe. but i usually only shoot 20 to 30 times. now swiss is a different story. after about 5 shots in my 40 SMR it develops a rock hard ring towards the chamber and you have to about drive the ball to seat, the heck with that! I have swiss but I never use it anymore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 09:48:52 PM »
Interesting finding, wolf. What is the load in your .40, if I may ask?
I have heard that if the load is overly stiff for the bore size, that Swiss fouls more than GOEX.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V