Author Topic: Barrel quality  (Read 2086 times)

Offline RAT

Barrel quality
« on: October 15, 2020, 12:53:35 AM »
I just received a barrel from Rice. I'm pretty disappointed in the lower standard of quality from barrels I've purchased from them in the past. The tool marks are well below what I've come to expect from them. This will take considerable draw filing to fix.

Also, I decided to give one of their new "Manton" patent/hooked breech plugs a try. The tang is entirely too small for a rifle. It's more pistol sized. Looks like I'll have to try making a standing tang. I'm not sure how to form the cavity for the hook. I know people have made these by welding on the tang, but I have no welding skills. I'll have to figure out a way to forge it.

Bob

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Barrel quality
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 01:36:17 AM »
I would definitely have a problem with that barrel mill work likewise, but I would contact them first and I'm sure they will make it right.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 01:42:17 AM »
I would contact Jason too. Not sure how that one made it past QC and was shipped. As for the tang it looks thick enough that it could be stretched out some.

Offline jim alford

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 03:06:56 AM »
I too have always found Jason pleasant and decent to work with. I am sure a phone call will solve the problem. Sometimes things slip through the cracks, even with the best of intentions.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 03:44:54 AM »
I agree with the others I am sure this will be taken care of with a phone call. I would have called as soon as it arrived.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
It is next to impossible to judge the surface finish based on photos like this.  A half thousandth surface varation could cause a surface to look like this.  So what I'm saying is that it may be nothing.  When we used Rice Barrels we chose to not have the barrels sanded in order that dimensions be held better.  This left the milled finish of course.  I found that in twenty minutes I could drawfile the barrel and it looked perfect.  Average depth of mill marks were in the range of .0005" (half thousandths).  Now with this said, many of our customers struggled with drawfiling these barrels and reported it taking many times longer than it takes me.  So since we've been making our own barrels we've used a process that leaves a much finer finish. 

My point...  It's probably not as bad as it may seem in the photos.

Jim

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 03:36:22 PM »
I am disappointed to see this post. Jason should have been contacted first to rectify or refund. Sharing constructive information is valuable complaining to the group and not the source is bad form."

Kevin 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:47:23 PM by Tim Crosby »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Joey R

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 03:48:14 PM »
Ditto!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 04:06:03 PM »
I have to say that Jason is a stand-up guy who stands behind his products.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 05:10:28 PM »
It is next to impossible to judge the surface finish based on photos like this.  A half thousandth surface varation could cause a surface to look like this.  So what I'm saying is that it may be nothing.  When we used Rice Barrels we chose to not have the barrels sanded in order that dimensions be held better.  This left the milled finish of course.  I found that in twenty minutes I could drawfile the barrel and it looked perfect.  Average depth of mill marks were in the range of .0005" (half thousandths).  Now with this said, many of our customers struggled with drawfiling these barrels and reported it taking many times longer than it takes me.  So since we've been making our own barrels we've used a process that leaves a much finer finish. 

My point...  It's probably not as bad as it may seem in the photos.

Jim
The two Kibler kits I have put togethertr in my shop both had Rice barrels that were fresh from the milling machine with  no sanding and had all of the milling marks intact. They were acually easier to draw file out that ANY barrel from Colerain and FAR easier to file out  than a Rayl barrel. The machine marks on Rice barrels are no big deal.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
A sharp file such as a NEW 10 inch long angle lathe file worked for me
with a few drops of threading fluid of any kind will leave a nice finish.
Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »
Just a commentary from a moderator point of view. These sorts of threads happen from time to time and it’s always a little uncomfortable.  It’s a tough situation for the consumer to be in. The customer wants to know whether something they received is normal or acceptable. This is a place where experienced people share knowledge and views.

Responses sometimes (not here, I am speaking about these sorts of threads) span the gamut from “ dang we spend good money, the consumer is always right” to “never ask this sort of thing here. Rely totally on the seller (unless of course it’s THAT supplier; their stuff is junk).”

Hopefully the OP gets some information and perspective that helps them decide whether the issue is “no biggie” or something serious. I do not believe that any supplier never has QC issues, nor do I believe the consumer is always right. So it’s an awkward dance. Just my thoughts. I hope we don’t discourage folks from requesting help with a situation, or get into supplier bashing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 05:48:10 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »
I am disappointed to see this post. Jason should have been contacted first to rectify or refund.
A few years back I posted a rant that was pulled and I understood.and let it go. My comments were regarding another barrel maker that was taking money.and promising work and not delivering.
What is worse having parts that do not.meet your expectations of flat out getting ripped off. Sharing constructive information is valuable complaining to the group and not the source is bad form.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 08:29:22 PM »
The maker of the barrel should be first in line so a fast solution
can be reached.That glitch may be beyond draw filing to get rid of.
I will say it will be addressed by the barrel maker immediately once
he knows about it.
Bob Roller

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 09:04:18 PM »
In my contacts with Jason I've found him to listen and show genuine interest in what the customer has to say.  I'd trust his judgement.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 09:09:15 PM »
I have to agree with the posts that say the milling marks are really not a big deal.  I have had similar surface finish barrels that only took a few minutes of draw filing to remove the tool marks.  The marks, as Jim Kibler points out, are only a half thousands of an inch deep in most cases.  Read the first page of my post about building a Kibler kit with a Rice barrel.......

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=57140.0
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:01:12 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline rsells

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 02:05:40 AM »
Contact Jason about the issue you have with the barrel.  He has been very customer friendly in all of my dealings with him.  I have never received anything but quality parts  from him.  That being said, I can't tell how deep the cavity is from the photo or what position that flat is indexed in relation to the breech.  If it is a defect that is a couple thousands of an inch deep it is not a functional issue,  and if that defect is on one of the bottom three flats on a full stock application it will not be visible when assembled.  Draw filing that portion of the barrel will be required to clean up the tool marks during the build.  My recommendation is to talk to Jason about the defect and go from there. 
                                                                                                      Roger Sells
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:29:03 AM by rsells »

Offline RAT

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 05:00:51 AM »
WOW... I re-read my original post and I don't see the negative rant that others seem to be reading into it. I simply said it wasn't the same quality as other barrels I've gotten from them. Which is true. I also said I was going to fix it myself. It's not so bad that I feel I need to send it back. Everyone gets a bad whatever some time. The marks are deep enough to be noticeable by feel and sight, but within my ability to file it smooth.

My comment about the tang is directed towards those that may be thinking about using it for a rifle project. I simply said it's better sized for a pistol. Which it is. And that I'll need to figure out how to make a new tang that will work better for me. I've never done that before, so I'll need to figure it out. The breech is fine.

Nowhere did I tell people not to buy from Rice, or bad-mouth the company.

The moderators can delete this thread if they feel this is going bad. No sore feelings here.
Bob