Author Topic: hacksaw advise.  (Read 2185 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
hacksaw advise.
« on: October 15, 2020, 01:11:30 AM »
Over the years I have made a lot of springs and other gun parts out of spring steel or 01 annealed. In spite of the fact that the steel was annealed in a furnace overnight it was still very hard on hacksaw blades. I always bought the best I could find but it was still difficult. A few years ago It became time to change a blade on my power hacksaw because it broke but was still in pretty good shape. It was fine tooth. I couldn't bring myself to throw the broken blade away. Instead I decided I would try and make hacksaw blades out of it. I broke it to length, annealed the ends and drilled the holes in the ends. At my astonishment this hacksaw blade preformed twice as good as any I could buy  lasted three times as long besides.  Now I just buy the best power blades I can find and make my own haclsaw blades. Try it tou'll love it. Cheap ones are never any good.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: hacksaw advise.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 01:50:46 AM »
Over the years I have made a lot of springs and other gun parts out of spring steel or 01 annealed. In spite of the fact that the steel was annealed in a furnace overnight it was still very hard on hacksaw blades. I always bought the best I could find but it was still difficult. A few years ago It became time to change a blade on my power hacksaw because it broke but was still in pretty good shape. It was fine tooth. I couldn't bring myself to throw the broken blade away. Instead I decided I would try and make hacksaw blades out of it. I broke it to length, annealed the ends and drilled the holes in the ends. At my astonishment this hacksaw blade preformed twice as good as any I could buy  lasted three times as long besides.  Now I just buy the best power blades I can find and make my own haclsaw blades. Try it tou'll love it. Cheap ones are never any good.
I haven't been able to buy a hacksaw blade at a store that will cut metal for 20 years. I buy old-new stock blades at farm auctions. I can usually buy them by the bundle for a couple bucks and they last for ever and really cut.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 02:09:35 AM »
Right Mike it's the new junk.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 04:15:19 AM »
I used to be able to get good ones through a CarQuest store. I think they're no longer distributed here, I'll post the name when I find the one I ran across the other day.  Last time I checked they were available in Europe. I was hacking thinwall 4130 tubing and SS with 'em and they worked better than most.

If I can't get some more of those at some point, I'll certainly try the band-blade conversion technique. Thanks. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 04:19:07 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline 45-110

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 04:11:00 AM »
 New blades cut fine if you buy the bi-metal ones...they cost more, and get the correct blade teeth per inch for the metal thickness. Lenox blades are a good one.
A stout hacksaw and proper blade tension makes them last.
kw

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 04:23:37 AM »
I love a power hacksaw because labor with less labor is the cat's meow. I consider this the 'traditional' model as it comes with no fancy power cord.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
I do little with a hacksaw but do use a vertical and horizontal bandsaw
a lot.Back in the days when there were first class hardware stores there
were good hacksaw blades everywhere such as the Atkins Silver Steel
brand that I know for a fact would cut a drill shank if need arose.
The junk we get now from China is a hoax on the buyer and ought to
be off the market everywhere.
Bob Roller

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 03:12:01 PM »
I would try Bi-Metal blades. Starrett is a good brand. MSC has them for $1.91 each.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
I love a power hacksaw because labor with less labor is the cat's meow. I consider this the 'traditional' model as it comes with no fancy power cord.

What will they think of next!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 07:56:02 PM »
New blades cut fine if you buy the bi-metal ones...they cost more, and get the correct blade teeth per inch for the metal thickness. Lenox blades are a good one.
A stout hacksaw and proper blade tension makes them last.
kw
You are probably not cutting spring steel. I never buy anything but the very best when it comes to tools. If a blade cost $1.95 I know it probably isn't any good. I bought the $5.95 blades and they stiil didn't do the job. I noticed the power saw in this post. The blades they sell for them from McMaster are very good.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 09:25:17 PM »
As stated from some other members above buy the Bi-Metal blades that are made by the top saw blade makers and you will have the best blades you can get on the market. They are reasonable in price McMaster-Carr sells a pack of 5 long life 12' hacksaw blades for $8.90 so why buy low quality carbon steel blades. By the way those Bi-Metal portable band saw blades are the same construction as the Bi-Metal hand hacksaw blades.

Taken from McMaster Carr catalog
Portable Band Saw Blades - These bimetal blades have a steel body with high-speed steel teeth that last up to four times longer than carbon steel teeth.

Long-Life Hacksaw Blades These bimetal blades have a steel body with high-speed steel teeth that last up to four times longer than carbon steel teeth.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 11:55:37 PM »
I still love a hand powered frame saw. This is a real oddball, but it's the most rigid and comfortable saw I've ever used.

And, to Jerry's point, the used HSS fine tooth bi-metal band saw blades make excellent hacksaw blades. I've found I can often drill the blade, which is not as hard as the cutting edge.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
That hacksaw frame Acer has is a real jewel. I love old stuff like that.
 The metal cutting bi metal blades seem to have a little more set also. More set allows a person to very the direction of the cut a little, jut in case you have to be offa little. Also the blades don't jam in the cut.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 10:21:24 PM »
A suggestion, not thoroughly based, check the fine print and do not ever buy a cutting tool that says "CHINA" on it.
Made in USA is worth the extra few $$

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 05:01:30 AM »
After I move I am looking forward to getting a vertical bandsaw with a coolant pump.  I used on in a machine shop class at the local JC.  It was wonderful.