Author Topic: Hershel House  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Carper

Hershel House
« on: October 15, 2020, 07:09:39 AM »
Since I was called into ministry in rural Alaska we have operated a little knife forge to provide much needed funds. My daughter Jenna , a medical provider, joined me in making the ALASKAN AWFULS. Today Jenna begins a short apprenticeship to learn the mysteries of engraving the buttcaps and rifle furniture the way Hershel House does it’s.  A great big thank you to Hershel.

Offline Bart

Re: Hershel House
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 12:12:42 PM »
Remarkable Man!!

Offline wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »
wish I had one of his guns,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 02:24:10 PM »
Good teacher and fun place to be. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 04:07:24 PM »
 :) :) :)... she's had two of the best teachers,... Johnny Walker and Hershel House,... anyone who gets an "Alaskan Awful Knife" is a most fortunate fellow,... !!! .... BTW,... they ain't "awful" at all,... !!!... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,...

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »
He really is a national treasure, and he is gonna be turning 80.

A guy I know who worked with Hershel, shared a story with me. Hershel had a friend, who started a fire in the wood stove in his shop. He wondered off, and Hershel's shop caught fire. The entire shop burned do the ground with all the barrels, guns, tools inside. Hershel made a new shop, and the barrels from the fire were used to reinforce the concrete floor. Or maybe the foundation of his fireplace, I cannot remember.       
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:30:35 PM by Mule Brain »
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 07:19:41 PM »
 When I was in junior high school, our neighbors decided to enlarge their house. This house was what I call a post WWII bomb shelter house. In our neck of the woods many young soldiers came home and built themselves a home much like the heavily reinforced building on military bases, made of cinderblocks filled with rebar, and concrete. So all us youngsters were put to work taking out a couple of these walls, to make room for the addition. Bad news for our team, Portland cement was cheap back then, and the father of the young G.I. That built it was an old gunsmith that donated all his vast array of old gun barrels for the rebar. I thought we would never get those walls removed.

Hungry Horse

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 09:18:45 PM »
When Hershel's shop burned down, I sent him some chisels and a smoothing plane.
He was pleased. reckoned the chisels didn't even need sharpening!

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 10:52:27 PM »
God bless Hershel House. He, and his gun building DVD, which I found at the age of 52, are the reason I revived my teenage ambition to build muzzle-loading weapons and all things concerning American history. He is a national treasure and should be recognized as such.
Eric Smith

Offline jrb

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 02:47:55 PM »
On facebook, Hershel House, a few weeks ago started his own page, "Hershel House Longrifles and Such".
It's one i check out just about every morning.

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 10:59:45 PM »
I have always enjoyed this segment from Kentucky Afield. I commented on this video 11 years ago

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:07:35 PM by Mule Brain »
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline duca

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 01:24:53 AM »
Check this out;
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 04:41:34 AM »
  For a lot of us. If it wasn't for Fox fire 5 an Hershel. We wouldn't be doing this. He is a remarkable craftsman...
  Oldtravler

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 04:19:11 PM »
Amen...I’d already built a couple of cheap “Kentucky Rifle” kits before I found Foxfire 5, and the information there really changed my direction. I’ll never build the numbers or quality of some of you guys, but I’ve certainly enjoyed the journey from Foxfire 5 to today. There is NOTHING as satisfying as hunting and taking game with gear you’ve made yourself...IMHO.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »
I watch his video for entertainment as much as learning.  Can't listen to him enough.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
When I was in junior high school, our neighbors decided to enlarge their house. This house was what I call a post WWII bomb shelter house. In our neck of the woods many young soldiers came home and built themselves a home much like the heavily reinforced building on military bases, made of cinderblocks filled with rebar, and concrete. So all us youngsters were put to work taking out a couple of these walls, to make room for the addition. Bad news for our team, Portland cement was cheap back then, and the father of the young G.I. That built it was an old gunsmith that donated all his vast array of old gun barrels for the rebar. I thought we would never get those walls removed.

Hungry Horse

Bill Large's shop which is stll standing hhas about 400 old gun barrels in the floor.
They were no good then and Bill was criticized by collectors but his answer was that
he would make barrels for shooters and the collectors were not part of the ideas he had.
Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 06:25:41 PM »
I’d like to get my hands on some of those old barrels.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 09:20:46 PM »
 I have to say Hershel House is my hero. You’ll never see him on TV, or view him on one of his outstanding videos, instructing you to go out and buy a truckload of machine tools, or exotic welding equipment. He makes beautiful works of art, that also function as a firearm, without a million dollar collection of modern tools.

Hungry Horse

Offline diamante

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 12:24:45 AM »
“Bill Large's shop which is stll standing hhas about 400 old gun barrels in the floor.“

That’s some mighty expensive rebar. lol 😆

Offline bptactical

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 01:13:44 AM »
National Treasure
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 01:31:27 AM »
“Bill Large's shop which is stll standing hhas about 400 old gun barrels in the floor.“

That’s some mighty expensive rebar. lol 😆
In the 1950's those old barrels would not rise to the level of junk and Bill's shop
was fully up and running in October of 1958.
Bob Roller