Author Topic: Ramrod & Attachment Thread size  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Notchy Bob

Re: Ramrod & Attachment Thread size
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 04:45:22 AM »
Accessories for many old American military long arms were threaded 12/24.  I would use that size if I could make my own jags, scrapers, and so forth.

Shotgun brushes, loops, and jags are threaded 5/16" x 27.  Taps and dies are available from Victor Tools.  Some sizes of shotgun brushes can be used with our rifles, e.g. a.410 shogun brush works in a .45, and a 28 gauge nylon bristle brush will work with a .54 caliber.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 03:29:30 AM »
I put 10-32 female threads on ALL of my ram rods.  If there was a compelling reason to use an 8-32, i would do it, but stronger is better and I can use a 10-32 easily all the way down to a .32 cal.....so what not ?  When I started making the "Gunner's Mate" multiple shooting tool I put in the patch box of each one of my rifles, I had the choice of using an 8-32 or a 10-32 thread size.  As all the parts are brass, I went with the larger size just to hedge my bet on strength for ball pulling, etc.  Never had anything come apart at an inopportune time yet.... ;)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2020, 06:45:55 AM »
I'm a member of the 10-32 camp for all my muzzleloader gear. Just a tad beefier and a little more peace of mind I guess.

Mike