Author Topic: Getting older and anvil re-think.  (Read 884 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Getting older and anvil re-think.
« on: October 16, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
Yesterday, I was beating out a trigger on my anvil. It's about a 75 lb.er that has always resided on my bench. 
I have not attempted to make a trigger in about 8 years. My shoulder tired quickly. In one of those rare moments of clarity, it occurred to me that my anvil was to high. So I did a little Google investigation, and now I am more knowledgeable about anvils. I rarely use the thing, but, when I do use it, it needs to be user friendly. It never bothered me when I was younger, but old age makes you start to use more intellect and less brawn. So, I will be correcting the situation by constructing a proper stand.
If you have an anvil and havnt took the time to set it up proper, do it before old age demands it.
Eric Smith

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Getting older and anvil re-think.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 03:39:27 PM »
 ;) ;).. Old smiths used the rule that the height  of your  anvil should be at the point of your knuckles when standing straight with your fist closed,.. guess this is overall best for your shoulders and back, plus optimum hammer swing,... If we never knew an old smith, I guess we learn from experience,.... or these days, the internet,.. !!!! ... well done,... regards, ... Cades Cove Fiddler