Author Topic: Every Man A Cobbler : Modifying an off-the-shelf bag  (Read 1136 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Every Man A Cobbler : Modifying an off-the-shelf bag
« on: December 08, 2020, 06:36:06 PM »
When on site with my shoebench I very often explain to folks that “ Cordwainer “was the 18th Century term for shoemaker whereas “Cobbler” was the term referring to a repair, Jack-Of-All-Trades individual.  They all start off by calling me a cobbler and I cherish the looks on their faces when I narrate the difference.  Out come the cameras and  cell phones.  Unfortunately for my personae, I prefer cobbling and re-purposing to making anew.

In the case of something like an off-shelf hunting bag You could make the argument as to why bother to re-purpose rather than simply buy new.  My guess is the reason has something to do with a re-make as a different sort of challenge.  My Bad.  Mom did not dress me funny, so I cannot explain this disorder.
I bought this guy from TOW.

Not the cheapest bag, but between the back orders, out of stocks and my unwillingness to go to Cabelas it’d do for my purposes.  With its big flap, roomy gusseted body, clever pocket and beat up look, as is now it would be a reliable, serviceable bag for a hunter or somebody in the outdoors a lot. 

However, my trekking days are over,  so this guy will  be repurposed into a trail walk budget ( bag).  It’d become a belt bag because shoulder bags don’t help the Arthur-itis that I’d bet comes standard with being 71+.  It  has more room than I need for trail walks, being well gusseted, and actually has some spare leather for a front pouch once  I trim down  that full flap.

This bad boy is  made of oil tanned cow, and the “Distressed” surface is merely irregular dark patches where it was probably buffed against its grain or on the unfinished flower side.  Crumble it up enough and those dark patches disperse and a worn look can be achieved. I outlined the flap  I wanted on a Manila folder and trimmed.  For some reason I associate French and Indian War era stuff with  “simple” and with smaller flaps.  Dunno why.

The excess of the flap now became a front pouch to hold a couple of my .50 cal loading blocks. Can’t say  there are a lot of folks who believe in  loading blocks prior to the Rev War. Haven’t got a lick of documentation that says anyone ever did this back in the day.   But, then again, it works for me.

Now I gotta make the flap pretty.
That’s a separate challenge…where you cross the line between leatherwork and craftsmanship.  This is a simple bag, so lining the flap, rolling the edges, adding one of those red hunters Stars, beads and other razzle-dazzle is out of the question.  Embellishment has to blend in with the non-descript nature of the budget as it has been modified. Moreover, I’d rather let it age by itself rather than distress or contrast it  it any more.

I got started in this at five years old when my mom and dad brought me up to Lake George when they were digging up Fort William Henry..  To this day, there are several dummies on display on the way in the lobby, one of which is a depiction of Rogers Rangers that makes Purists cry.

I am still not sure what form of perversion came over me, but… bollocks!!!... I wanted that leaf pattern.  Maybe because I have seen like patterns in Algonquin or Abenaki samples, maybe because it reminds me of Northwest Passage, or maybe some punter actually had something like this on a bag long since rotted away and gone.  Who cares.  It’ll blend in with all my authentic and correct stuff  when I am done anyway

The look I wanted for the leaves was going to be achieved with artificial sinew.  That’s a cheap product made of nylon and a lot of Paraffin lube.  The only time it resembles real sinew is when you tack ( one needle)  instead of stitch ( two needles) and pound the seam mercilessly flat.  The tacking gives an irregular seam look and the pounding gets close to the flattened and pale look of real sinew.

Now, I know that you know that I know that stuff rules in this hobby.  The fact that I cobbled , re-made or built from scratch everything that is going into this budget makes it all personally worthwhile.  Tell the truth and shame the Devil…You been there…

Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Happy New Year, you coyotes

Greg Geiger
The Capgun Kid

Offline Mike from OK

Re: Every Man A Cobbler : Modifying an off-the-shelf bag
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 12:22:13 AM »
Nice work CG, (am I allowed to call you Greg?)

There's something extremely satisfying about taking something "mediocre" to begin with, and transforming it into something more pleasing.

I do it all the time... But it's usually my very own fumbling mediocre rough drafts that I TRY to make better.  :D

Mike

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Re: Every Man A Cobbler : Modifying an off-the-shelf bag
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 02:19:43 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  "Greg" seems to have followed me everywhere since I was born, so I guess it'll do.  Capgun is my Cowboy Action alias.  I keep it around in the vain hope that I will be able to fog the stages again with my black powder guns after regaining my youth and shedding this arthritis stuff...

In the meantime, post some of your stuff.  Maybe we need a thread on re-purposing...