Author Topic: Wanted, Cannon Lock  (Read 811 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Wanted, Cannon Lock
« on: October 18, 2020, 06:00:51 AM »
I was a gunnery officer in the Navy at one point in my life.  I also built a full size iron cannon.  What I don't have is a cannon flintlock.  I have been looking for an original or even a well done reproduction like the one in the attached picture.  I have no idea what an original would be worth or what a reproduction would run (if anyone was to spend the time making one), so I'll throw out a number like $500 to $1000 to comply with the rules.  Any one have one ?.....or know someone who does?  Thanks

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Wishbone

• Starting Member
  • Be Humble - Don't Stumble
Re: Wanted, Cannon Lock
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 02:40:47 PM »
Dixie Gun Works has a relatively inexpensive repo, but donít know if it is based on anything historically accurate.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/157/category/542/category_chain/540,542/product_name/AC0606+Cannon+Lock

Wishbone

Offline Mule Brain

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 03:14:15 PM »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 03:45:45 PM »
I can't speak as to the quality, but here is a reproduction one.
http://www.militaryheritage.com/artillery.htm

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 06:16:03 PM »
Dave, could this be built using some brass plate and the internals/ other parts from one of the many available locks?
You could cut the plates - one front and one back, sandwich the internal parts, and bend a strip of brass around the perimeter of the plates, to join them.  I would suggest that you use screws or bolts to hold the plates together, and only solder one side on to the perimeter brass.  That would enable you to work on the lock innards as needed.
The one lock above is a percussion, ant the "SOLD OUT" one unavailable.  But I know your talents and abilities would make it possible to build one for far less than $1,095 !!!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline webradbury

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »
Iím surprised you havenít made one yet with fancy engraving!
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
I have a lot of photos of cannon locks but this is the only one with the side plate removed - it's an American lock from Philadelphia, but it is basically a copy of the English lock you posted

Here's an English lock from IMA with engraving -

Mike
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:11:44 PM by Gunnermike »

Offline RobertS

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 04:19:13 PM »
It seems like the internal parts from a tinderlighter could be used, but most of them might be a little small. I can't tell from these locks how the flash is directed from the pan into the flash hole of the cannon breech. 

Offline AsMs

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 06:58:49 PM »
I have often wondered how those locks worked. Where would the touchhole be located on the cannon?  Does the flash go down a hole and if so how do they keep hole clear and not burn like a fuse? 

AsMs

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 12:06:07 AM »
Gunnermike,  Thanks for the pictures !!!

AsMs,  The lock was bolted to the side of a cast in protrusion on the top of the cannon breech as in these pictures........

In some other versions, there was just a hole in the bottom of the lock pan that pointed out at an angle down toward the cannon vent.  The pan flash sent a jet of flame at the primed vent.

Looks like I will just start planning to build myself a cannon lock....perhaps using some box lock parts ????  Need to give it some thought.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 01:54:23 AM »
Dave here's a  photo with a ruler to scale the lock - I believe the length is 6-1/2" to 6-5/8".

this one has a No.2 pencil for width scale!

this shows the cock at rest from behind - the lock on the right is a repro, the left lock is the antique

This photo is for AsMs to show the standard fore & aft lock mounting (although the guy in the photo is really close to the breech, he probably doesn't want to have any more children)

Mike

Offline Mule Brain

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »
I would buy the one from IMA, and copy it. Sure would be nice to have an original onsite to copy. My brother owns a foundry and may be able to help in the bronze castings portion. I have the recipe for original cannon bronze, which we used on some barrels already     

Offline redheart

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 07:44:21 PM »
Saguar-Arms.com has them for 186 Euro.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 08:35:37 PM »
Thank you all for the information....I may still make one but would love to get one of the reproductions just to have.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780