Author Topic: Self closing frizzen.  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Scota4570

Self closing frizzen.
« on: October 17, 2020, 06:54:45 PM »
The lock on my Armstrong pistol I recently posted is acting weird.  It is a set of small siler parts on a new plate.  The frizzen bounces off the frizzen spring and comes to rest on the flint.  I did modify the cock to give a longer flint stroke on the frizzen.  IT was about half the length frizzen length contact and required a very tiny flint.  I bent the cock neck upward.   I could bend the frizzen spring  end like original Armstrongs so that force required to come back is increased? 

Online Hungry Horse

Re: Self closing frizzen.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 11:45:47 PM »
 If you look at modern flint locks, and compare them to antique locks of approximately the same quality, you will see that many antique lock have frizzens that travel much farther forward than modern copies. This make it harder for the frizzen to rebound and damage the flint. This is I believe another reason for roller frizzens since most roller frizzens secure themselves from rebound when they cam over.

Hungry Horse

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 02:32:25 AM »
The Chambers' small Siler on my squirrel LR did the same thing....the frizzen wasn't toggling over and came back and rested on the flint. Because the cock at half cock position didn't allow a longer flint, as the flint got shorter, the lack of toggling took place.

I located the frizzen by hand at the toggle over point and marked the frizzen spring which was then modified w/ a small hump at the mark  using the Dremel w/ a small dia grinding wheel. The polished hump is  .015 high and solved the problem. Didn't have to anneal the spring. 

I hear that Chamber eliminated this problem on the small Siler.....Fred

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 02:41:11 AM »
That is worth a try.  The spring are cheap. 

Mine is hitting the spring.  IF I put a piece of doubled up paper on the spring, where the frizzen hits,  and try, the cushioning effect is enough to prevent the rebound. 

It is likely an older small siler.   

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 02:59:44 AM »
I think that the late style frizzen has the cam located different to eliminate that issue.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 03:03:14 AM »
Hi,
Just heat the frizzen spring to red, open the bend a little, harden the spring and temper it. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 08:30:26 PM »
Hi,
Just heat the frizzen spring to red, open the bend a little, harden the spring and temper it. 

dave

Bingo! Worked great.