Author Topic: percussion identification  (Read 1658 times)

lockstocknbarrel

percussion identification
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:57:23 PM »
I have this here rifle that needs a little attention..., can anybody identify it?  It says Remington and 1.3 stamped on the breech end of the barrel.   No breech plug and rifling is pretty much gone.  Considering a new barrel.  inletting looks to be machine made.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: percussion identification
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 02:02:38 AM »
 I’d put it back together, and then go buy a new made shooter. An antique that is all original deserves to remain that way IMO.

Hungry Horse

lockstocknbarrel

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 03:13:22 AM »
without the proper breech plug and tang, it's kinda hard to put together...., I don't know if it had a hooked breechplug or not.  Not only that, the way the inletting is done, I wonder how old this is... the lock and trigger mechanism is in great shape.  I think the barrel was removed and not taken care of while the rest of the gun was put away.  Only minor splitting in the wood.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:21:45 AM by lockstocknbarrel »

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 05:28:10 AM »
Remington made a lot of rifle barrels in the 1800's. Used, of course, by New York makers but also by many Michigan gunmakers of the time.

Reference, if you will,Michigan Gunsmiths by James Kelly and Dorr Wiltse.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 09:11:19 PM »
One of the Hawken rifles at the Cody Firearms Museum has a Remington stamp on the barrel.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 01:05:42 AM »
 Don’t rule out Pennsylvania makers using some Remington barrels. A friend bought a longrifle that had started life as a late flintlock, and got converted to percussion. It was a classic late flint Pennsylvania longrifle, but the only mark on it was Remingtons stamp on the bottom of the barrel. Sadly the previous owner was totally certifiable and butchered the gun so he “could make it a shooter” and it did for a while until the new .69 caliber barrel he replaced the Remington .44 Caliber barrel with, put too much stress on the wrist of the stock, and it snapped.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 05:20:19 AM »
It's unfortunate we can't see the shape of the original lock bolt washer, which at times hints at where a rifle was made. Now it's mortise is covered with the large brass repair over the rear side facing. The length and shape of the tang mortise might also provide a clue. From looking at the slight "fish belly" in the butt's the toe line I would rule out PA but keep Michigan as a possibility. The lack of checkering at the wrist tends to rule out NY... but this is a really late half stock so nothing is for certain. The guard's rear spur with extra small spur suggests late Midwest to me, so with the slight "fish belly" and no wrist checkering perhaps Michigan really is a good candidate. IN and OH also made guns in this style. But at this late date, as indicated by the late style guard attached with screws, and almost modern-looking triggers, it is almost impossible to nail down where it was made without some trace of name/initials on the barrel.  Shelby Gallien

lockstocknbarrel

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies... I've been gone Quail hunting and just got back to see these last posts!  I hadn't thought of the sideplate as a repair, but now that it's been pointed out, that most assuredly is the case. I don't have any reason to remove it to see what's underneath..., it's a really good fit even if it has too many screws in it.
I am posting pix of the tang inlet.  Also, the top of the stock is flat, and I thought that might be of some help.  Finally, the barrel was pinned and not wedged.
Also, the owner of the gun was from Ohio..., I received another longrifle from the same person. That gun was in many pieces and ready for the trash bin (it's at least a good looking wall hanger now).
Both rifles are .36 cal. 

On further sleuthing, I found "serial #'s" elswhere...., there is a number 13 stamped in the stock (under the barrel), on the inside of the lock plate, on the trigger assembly, and on the trigger guard.  My original post showed "Remington" and "1.3" on the barrel...., it must simply be "13" as well.  That tells me that all the pieces are original and related.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:55:07 PM by lockstocknbarrel »