Author Topic: Tang Shaping  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Tang Shaping
« on: October 20, 2020, 11:22:18 PM »
I am anticipating doing some saw work on a breech plug tang soon. I noticed I am down to my last three jewelers saw blades. I thought I might buy some more from Rio Grande. Then I got to thinking I should upgrade to the Knew Concepts saw. I did some perusing in the search feature but got confused with it all. There are so many KC saw with this feature and that feature. What are ya'll using, or recommend currently? Also, if cutting on a tang, what blade, etc, number, etc. Same for cutting .4 brass. Also, what blade for .125 brass? Many thanks, in advance.

Eric Smith

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Tang Shaping
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 11:51:38 PM »
Thick steel is tough going with a jeweler's saw. If it's .4 thick, get the coarsest blade you can get. If you're cutting 1/8" brass, you want 3 teeth at any given time to be in the material to avoid catchting, and breaking, the blade.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 12:11:26 AM »
Hacksaw and files work for me.
Andover, Vermont

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 02:15:25 AM »
Hacksaw and files work for me.

I'm with Rich when it comes to the tang.  If I spent all that time cutting it with a jewler's saw I'd still need to finish it with files.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 02:20:12 AM »
Hi,
Don't use a jewelers saw on a steel barrel tang. Use a hacksaw and files.  I know of what I speak.  For other thinner metals, the Knew Concept saws are very good.  get one with a deep throat.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 04:59:15 PM »
All done with files, just take you time and not rush it.
Good luck Richard

audi a4 1.8 t 0 60

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 06:59:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice and the photos.
Eric Smith

Offline john bohan

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 10:13:40 PM »
I did my last one with a burring tool in a battery powered drill then finished with files.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 10:16:39 PM »
I use a #3 blade for 1/8" brass or steel. For .4 steel I use a hack saw.  I have a half dosen jewelers saws -- which ever works best.  Never buy cheap blades. chinese blades are good if your cutting fried shrimp.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:49:04 PM »
I drill the inside curves with the correct sized drill bit, then finish with a hack saw, files, and sometimes a belt sander.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 11:54:13 PM »
Eric, I currently use a KC with a 5" throat.  My "go to" blades are generally 2/0 to #3, but I keep 6/0 and 8/0 on hand for really fine cutting, and #3 and #5 for the thicker stuff.

The jeweler's saw, for me, is a lot more accurate than a hacksaw - never been good with one.  Consequently, I built several airplanes, cutting the majority of the 4130 steel and various grades of aluminum with my trusty old jeweler's saw.  I think that the thickest I cut was 1/4" and 1/8", but almost all the other stuff was .032 to .062.  With that saw, it was very easy for me to cut to the center of a red sharpie line, and eliminate a whole lot of filing - couple passes was all it took to eliminate the saw marks.

I generally buy my blades from Rio, and buy a gross at a time.

Best of luck with your project- don't cut your thumb as Idid!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.