Author Topic: Single set trigger suitable for a Kentucky/North Carolina pistol  (Read 1663 times)

Offline moleeyes36

I have pistol projects backing up that I need to get started soon where I want to use single set triggers.  All the single set triggers of which I'm aware are too long to fit the stock on a Kentucky, North Carolina, etc. style pistol.  As I recall, there was a thread on this subject several months ago and I think a candidate was eventually identified.  I can't locate that thread, so at the risk of plowing up old ground, does anyone know of a single set trigger (that doesn't require major modification) suitable for a Kentucky pistol?  Thanks.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Trapdoor 73

Re: Single set trigger suitable for a Kentucky/North Carolina pistol
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 05:43:36 PM »
You might want to look at buckridgeflintlocks.com they make a cane trigger that would probably work.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
You might want to look at buckridgeflintlocks.com they make a cane trigger that would probably work.

I've looked at Liston Rice's trigger but it appears to be too long to be used in a Kentucky/North Carolina pistol stock; certainly without a lot of modification.  R.E. Davis has a new single set trigger that might work; L&R's Model T1650 might fit as well.  I'm hoping to have a some options to compare.  Thanks for your input.

Don Richard
Don Richards

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 01:08:00 AM »
Don, if ye find anything suitable, please let me know.  I am building a pair of pistols, and do have regular triggers for them, but was really wanting a single-set type.

I am using Stan Hollenbaugh's "Ditchburn" J. P. Beck locks. They are just the right size for a pistol, VERY well made, very fast, and throw a plethora of sparks. It will be a few months, as I want to hot nitre blue all the non-brass parts.  Of course, if I waited until my engraving skills came up to par, we would be waiting until Hades had ice water for the guests.  A few months till my finances meet up with Brownell's prices is really nothing.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 03:54:49 PM »
Craig,

In addition to the R.E. Davis and L&R possibilities I mentioned above, L. Akers (a forum member) sent me a PM on a very interesting and quality made trigger he makes and sells at a very competitive price.  I think that it would probably do the job also.  He included pictures and a spec sheet.  I ordered one and am going to give it a try.  I'm also hoping to buy the L&R trigger that Taylor listed for sale.  Since I have a need for at least two triggers, I'll use both and have a way to compare them.  Contact Mr. Akers and I'm sure he'd send you pictures and a spec sheet as well.

Don Richards
Don Richards

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
I now have a request from a local man for double set triggers for a pistol.
The only way I can see this being done at a reasonable cost is to make the
trigger bar with a curve and then design the pistol to suit that idea and that
means a small lock set farther forward than usual and I have seen this and
I know it works.Does anyone have a picture of an antique AMERICAN pistol
with double set triggers??
Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »
Don, others:  Larry Akers got in touch with me, and it looks as tho his triggers will do the job just fine.  I will let you all know about them when received.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 04:04:57 AM »
Craig, just keep in mind how set triggers on a pistol worked out for Alexander Hamilton. When the Thompson Center Patriot pistol was all the rage the pistol range at most local rendezvous was the most dangerous place you could be. I always thought The increased number of Accidental discharges was because the trigger functions were reversed, but I was wrong. When Walt Caine’s single set trigger got on the market, the accidental discharge numbers went through the roof. A pistol with a single set trigger needs to fit like a glove, be muzzle light so you don’t inadvertently put too much pressure on the trigger, and almost demands a spur on the triggerguard. Heck I made my own primitive trigger, and had to redo it because it was too light.

Hungry Horse

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 05:43:54 PM »
HH, I always try to get about a 3-4 lb release on set triggers. For me, I mainly use set triggers to eliminate creep, and that "mushy" feel on a non-set trigger.  They do help achieve a crisp let-off.

Done a lot of both bench and "military" positions - off-hand, sitting, kneeling, and prone - and for all of them I really do not want an 8-oz trigger - too easy to get those "accidental" discharges.  The way some folks wave their firearms around, they are just begging to perforate something they'd rather not perforate.  Like a shooting buddy!
Craig Wilcox