Author Topic: How to form ribbed trade gun ramrod thimbles?  (Read 1732 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
How to form ribbed trade gun ramrod thimbles?
« on: October 23, 2020, 07:06:20 PM »
I enjoy making components. I’ve not figured out how to make thin, ribbed brass ramrod thimbles. I am guessing a set of dies could be made. Then squeeze the thin brass.

Something like this? 

Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: How to form ribbed trade gun ramrod thimbles?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:04:57 PM »
 Years ago when I built my first scratch built trade gun, and a little later my sons miniature trade gun, I got some flat ribbed material to make the pipes from TOTW. It was obviously ribbed by running it through some sort of roller that pressed the ribs into the brass strips. The recesses between the raised ribs had fine ridges that no doubt were from whatever was engineered to give the roller enough traction to make it feed properly.

Hungry Horse

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 08:24:32 PM »
There was a little booklet I had many years ago on building a trade gun. I had a copy and don't know who I loaned it to. It had a jig something like you are describing, if my memory hasn't failed me. Maybe someone here has it.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 09:32:29 PM »
Hi Rich,
I don't think you need the male side of the form.  Just create a plate with parallel grooves and use a cold chisel with rounded nose to hammer the sheet into the grooves.  Here is how I do it for ribbed collars on either end of a thimble.   

Once you have one rib formed, it will hold the sheet in position to form the other ribs.  You need to use thin sheet, probably 0.03-0.04".

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »
Hi Rich,
I don't think you need the male side of the form.  Just create a plate with parallel grooves and use a cold chisel with rounded nose to hammer the sheet into the grooves.  Here is how I do it for ribbed collars on either end of a thimble.   

Once you have one rib formed, it will hold the sheet in position to form the other ribs.  You need to use thin sheet, probably 0.03-0.04".

dave

This is the way I make them as well.  At one time I was going to cut some male and female rollers for my rolling mill but it was one of those round tuits and not worth the time investment for the use it would receive. If im not mistaken, Jack Brooks may use a set of plates like you illustrated Rich.

Couldn't find a pic of mine but here is one made the same way by Phillip Smith

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 11:21:33 PM »
I use that technique for making raised ribs at the of thimbles. I’m thinking long term and getting mixed more uniform results. We will see if I find time to follow through. Thimbles I got from Mike Lea are pretty nice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 01:28:04 AM »
You could just carve them out of wood.  No need to make them out of metal.  Line them up, squeeze it in a vise, and there you have it.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 02:06:45 AM »
You could just carve them out of wood.  No need to make them out of metal.  Line them up, squeeze it in a vise, and there you have it.

Mebbe so. Osage or pignut hickory maybe.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 09:10:42 AM »
Depends on how fine you want your ribs to be.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 04:36:58 PM »
Wood may work, but definition of corners will be compromised.  This may be okay, depending on the design.

Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 05:22:28 PM »
Depends on how fine you want your ribs to be.

Here in the Midwest we pride ourselves on fine ribs so.....
Andover, Vermont

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 10:26:18 PM »
There is a member of this forum named Dave Blasdel. He gave a seminar on this several years back at the oregon gunmakers fair. Hopefully he will chime in.  Hope I spelled his name right.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.