Author Topic: Plugging touch-hole during hunting season; failed  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Tilefish

Re: Plugging touch-hole during hunting season; failed
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 04:57:59 AM »
We hunt in quite a bit of rain down here in Florida. We always used to take the plastic caps off are tires valve stem and keep that over the nipple on rainy days. It seemed to work pretty well.
Chad

Offline alacran

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
My first muzzleloader hunt was in the Osceola National Forest back in the mid 70s.   Either my hunting partner and I had heard from some old timer to coat the nipple with fingernail polish.
Well it rained for all four days we were there. We would stash our guns in the VW bug we were camping out of. Thankfully it didn't leak.
We would get in the bug an pry off the nipples with our patch knives at the end of the day. In the morning we would cap the rifles in the bug and re coat the cap and nipples with the fingernail polish. Well at the end of the hunt we fired of the rifles and they went off without hesitation. As a side benefit the fingernail polish helped with the chigger bites.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Not English

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2020, 05:54:17 AM »
If you're shooting one of those "new" cap guns, a rubber vacuum cap works really well. You can buy an assortment at your local parts house. I know it's not even close to period, but it's effective.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2020, 06:17:06 AM »
The piece of saddle skirting worked for me and at least is better than rubber, perhaps from a
PC perspective, although that thought or desire to follow PC did not in the least, occur to me.
I had the leather & bingo - success.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V