Author Topic: Lyman GPR - now made by Pedersoli  (Read 3841 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Lyman GPR - now made by Pedersoli
« on: October 23, 2020, 11:22:29 PM »
I found it interesting to see that Lyman is now contracting out their Great Plains Rifle manufacturing to Pedersoli.   The MSRP of $1050 for a percussion model ($1120 for flintlock!) seems out of touch (to me) but then again, I suppose they have market research that says they can get that much.  Plus, that's probably not what they will actually sell for ( I see one on Gunbroker now for $900 in new condition).

Still, these rifles seem to have a good following.  I personally believe some of the Investarms halfstock rifles are just as good, though perhaps not quite as aesthetically appealing as the GPR.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/newproducts/great-plains-signature-series
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Panzerschwein

Re: Lyman GPR - now made by Pedersoli
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 01:54:49 AM »
Such a bland looking rifle.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 08:45:28 PM »
 Are these the ones they had all the breechplug problems with? A friend got one of those for Christmas last year, and the breechplug issue was only half of the problem. The flintlock was totally nonfunctional as received. A replacement frizzen made it work about half the time. Finally a replacement lock from L&R got it shooting regularly.

Hungry Horse

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »
No idea, HH, but I would imagine that any flint lock by Pedersoli would be just fine.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »
 Well Bones, I have only found two flintlocks in forty plus years, that I had to throw in the towel on when it comes to making them even semi- reliable, and the late production Great Plains is one of them.

Hungry Horse

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »
I bought a late production flint GPR about 10 years ago. Wouldn't spark hardly at all.  I went the opposite route and converted it to a popper gun.  I drilled and tapped the touch hole for a 5/16 x 24 blank drum and ground the pan off the lock and converted it to percussion.  With the patent breech I could use the full threaded portion of the drum for a good solid fit.  My problem then was finding a hammer that would replace the flint hammer.  An L&R Leman percussion hammer fit perfect after a little fitting.  That conversion proved super reliable with never a misfire.  It sort of looked like an old time percussion conversion.  It was a very accurate shooter and sort of wish i still had it.

Bob

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 04:27:26 AM »
  Interesting on the value. I will have to double check. But I know of one Great plains rifle in 54 for half that value in excellent shape. Plus a Browning mountain rifle same value..
 Curious cause I don't believe the Mountain rifle has been made for years...plains rifles are not my thing...Great shooters though..  Oldtravler

Offline terryk

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 01:44:02 AM »
I owned some Pedersoli rifles and one thing was common.  Heavy. 
For their price, I think they should swamp the barrels. 

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »
I'm not a builder. And most of these guys have more flintlock experience in their little finger than I do in my whole body. Heck, I'm not even a good shooter. But this is what I have observed...

I have two custom builds and a Pedersoli Kentucky in .32 No experience with a Pedersoli built GPR

Both of the customs have L&R locks, a Bedford and a Queen Anne. As I understand it, some folks don't hold L&R locks in the greatest esteem... But once i learned the particulars of each lock and learned to do my part they've worked fine for me.

The Pedersoli lock is reliable if you keep the flint sharp... But that can be problematic. Both the mainspring and frizzen spring are orders of magnitude heavier than they need to be. This makes for a heavy trigger pull and a good bashing for the flint to get the frizzen moving. This was not real apparent to me until I had better locks to compare against.

If Pedersoli is putting their lock on the GPR they manufacture that would have me saving my money for a while longer and getting a custom gun instead.

Will the Pedersoli guns work? Absolutely... with enough effort and a good supply of flints. I like nice guns, however a plain stock and heavy barrel can be worked with... but a lock that fights you every step of the way will make for a frustrating experience.

If Pedersoli would improve their locks or even use locks from one of the many quality makers on the market they might get something going. I find it telling that L&R does a good bit of business selling locks to upgrade factory locks.

Just my opinion based on my own observations.

Mike

Jim Evans

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 01:43:16 AM »

So photo from a friend
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 01:47:05 AM by Jim Evans »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 05:34:52 AM »
Mike,  the bashing of the flint might actually be from the frizzen rebounding and whacking the flint. 

A way to solve that easily and inexpensively is to make a new piece of jaw leather.  I make my jaw leathers (that hold the flint) run out to the end of the flint on the top side.  That way if the frizzen rebounds, it hits the leather and doesn't knap the flint.  I did not invent this, it's been around since the flintlock was invented.  Some do the same thing with lead.  Just protect the top of the flint. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 08:33:16 AM »
Maybe Marc, but I don't think so. Look at the photos of the lock in Jim's post above yours... In the last photo you can see how beefy the frizzen spring is. Mine is the same way.

Don't get me wrong. The lock on mine is pretty reliable. But it could definitely be improved.

Mike