Author Topic: Restoring an Original Manton Lock  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Chunker119

Restoring an Original Manton Lock
« on: October 24, 2020, 07:18:13 AM »
I just purchased this lock off EBay. It is an original Manton lock that is missing mainspring and linkage. I am planning to retro fit parts from Davis’ “Henry” lock to get this one in working order.

Curious if that is what you all might do or what other suggestions you might have.

Past getting the lock functional, what is your advice on restoring the lock to nice condition to use in a future project.

I appreciate the help!

Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline Justin Urbantas

Re: Restoring an Original Manton Lock
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 07:29:01 AM »
Very nice. I saw that one too, and was going back and forth about buying it. Good score

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »
I just purchased this lock off EBay. It is an original Manton lock that is missing mainspring and linkage. I am planning to retro fit parts from Davis’ “Henry” lock to get this one in working order.

Curious if that is what you all might do or what other suggestions you might have.

Past getting the lock functional, what is your advice on restoring the lock to nice condition to use in a future project.

I appreciate the help!

It is not a high end lock and probably Belgian.The Manton name shows up on a number of guns that
have never been in England.The parts from the Davis "Henry" are not useable unless the'
mainspring will work.This mechanism is about identical to those found on many American guns of that
time frame.Good working but nowhere near a representation of the English Manton.
Maybe someone can post a picture of a Stanton or Brazier lock on a similar plate.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:58:23 PM by Bob Roller »

westbj2

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 04:15:55 PM »
A Whitwroth lock by J. Brazier

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 05:38:07 PM »
Is this lock from Whitworth C760?I think I have made about 40 of the Stanton style
locks with the 4 screw fishtail bridle and 7 smaller versions as copied from a Whitworth
boy's rifle owned by Lynton McKenzie.No plans to make any more and the demand is
nearly zero.Thank you for posting this very fine lock photo.

Bob Roller

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 05:47:59 PM »
West,

That's a very nice lock.
It is a later design than you will find on a Manton .  The more or less "La Tene" looking bridle was not used in the Manton brother's day.

The first photo is of a decent lock of the 1815 time period, the other two photos of another decent lock, but none are Mantons.
To all intents and purposes, you will find Manton locks very similar to the above.

Best,
Richard.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:33:49 PM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline Clint

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 05:13:38 AM »
I can see a shadow of the mainspring where it fits against the bolster. That should get you pretty close to the over all size and shape of the spring. If you can't find one from a vendor you could easily make one.  (make two) If you decide to make one, it is largely a filing job with one sharp bend. Bend the spring with only a moderate red heat and take your time. Three or four heats should close it up nicely. Many springs break, not because of hardening flaws, but because they were over heated with a small acetelyne flame.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »
What Clint says is very true. Many springs break because they were over heated when being formed.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.