Author Topic: Some Beech!  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Stoner creek

Some Beech!
« on: October 25, 2020, 02:48:36 AM »
 I’ve been reading posts over the past few weeks about “Barn Guns” and decided to have at one. They are always fun to build and the rule book is pretty thin on those things. There were two objectives that I had with this one. I had a piece of beech that I bought from Richard Miller at Friendship a couple of years ago and I had never worked beech before so I wanted to, and I had one of Rice’s new Henry Nock locks that I wanted to try out on a Southern-ish style of gun. I’ll have to admit that the beech finished out with a very warm, smooth texture. It’s a very hard wood and your tools need to be sharp. The lock went in well and is still sparking nicely after dozens of dry fires.
 This little girl is bare bones, no frills, and a little on the small side. It’s a 40 cal, parallel sided 13/16” x 36” Colerain. I made the trigger pull short too, 13 1/4”. I believe that it will fit most anybody but I had a young person or lady in mind for its future owner.  It probably weighs in at 7 1/2 to 8 pounds. Surprisingly it fits me quite well and I’m an oaf!
 I’ll have it at the Fall Frolic if any of y’all want to play with it. I’ll have it for sale up there!
 Enjoy!!

Stop Marxism in America

Offline old george

Re: Some Beech!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 02:54:04 AM »
Hi Stoner, thats a nice lil rifle.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 03:47:00 AM »
I’ve never worked with beech myself, it sure did turn out nice.  The color looks good.
Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 04:00:31 AM »
Well executed Stoner. Nice rifle indeed. I'll wager The Fiddler likes it too.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 06:01:21 AM »
 ;D ;D... Great job again, Wayne,... the profile is GREAT,... pretty trigger-guard,...you forge it out,...?,... now that is some pretty finish, too,... what did you stain and finish her with,...?,... all-around great job,... !!! ... CCF...

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 06:10:13 AM »
Nice little rifle, Wayne. Thanks for sharing it.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
;D ;D... Great job again, Wayne,... the profile is GREAT,... pretty trigger-guard,...you forge it out,...?,... now that is some pretty finish, too,... what did you stain and finish her with,...?,... all-around great job,... !!! ... CCF...
I got that guard from David R Pennington (ALR member). The stain is iron nitrate followed by LMF maple then finished with tung oil finish and a wee bit of black. I really enjoyed getting that color...
 See you soon old buddy!
 Wayne
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 04:42:22 PM »
Very nice!

Cory Joe

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »
I knew you would like working that beech. Turned out real nice.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 05:34:23 PM »
  Well done Wayne. Nice graceful lines to her...Just sayin for an Oaf...ya sure are talented...lol. She won't last long at the show... Probably sold while your setting up...See ya soon..
   Mike

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 02:29:41 AM »
That's a nice lookin rifle...I like it!
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 03:51:35 PM »
Show off!    ;-) 

My own experiences with beech in making or refinishing things has not been good.  Heavy, and clumsy looking grain with with weird flecks that don't seem to take stain well.  Hard as woodpecker lips. 

Now here you go showing a well crafted and finished gun.  Just demoralizing.  Lol. 

I really like your art here Wayne, all kidding aside.  Sweet, flowing lines.  The lines have to carry a common gun without the ornamentation.  Well done.  I also like that the guard has some flow to it, not a jarring look like some common guns.  Warm, appealing finish. 

Bob and I have often discussed length of pull on longrifles.  We both agree that a tendency towards shorter works, but one too long is difficult.  I like the idea of 13-1/4" pull.  That should be a sweet spot. 

The Colerain should be a fine shooter, and I'll look forward to hearing how the new lock work and folks get some shots in. 

That is really some gun, and in beech.  It reminds me of a finished cherry gun.  The more I look the more I like it.  Super job Wayne. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Roughneck

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 04:03:59 AM »
that rifle came out great!!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 01:21:34 PM »
That is some beech. Is nice to see an un-ridiculous real man’s rifle every now and then.  ;) Nice.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
Oaf, if you happen to sell it before I get there Friday, please hang on to it for a bit so I can fondle that little masterpiece.

You really did a nice job on that, and love that muzzle cap!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »
I’ll have her there. A fellow ALR member bought it today. Next stop Cincinnati then on to Montana!
I truly appreciate all of your kind comments!

Stop Marxism in America

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 09:38:05 PM »
 The rifle is really nice but your shop looks Great, Man.

Tim

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 10:06:01 PM »
The rifle is really nice but your shop looks Great, Man.

Tim
If I’m not in the zone for gun making it makes a great little social venue!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 01:02:29 AM »
Wayne, I’m a tad late to the party, but that’s a pretty rifle...nice work, buddy!  Good to hear that Nock lock is working good...I’m using one on a pistol build, but I don’t have it inlet yet.  I’m still kicking around whether or not I want to build a set trigger for it..just something else to procrastinate over!

I understand beech was a pretty common stock wood for trade guns.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson