Author Topic: Started another one  (Read 1996 times)

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
Started another one
« on: October 25, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »
Well, I needed another project, and I had this nice piece of wood, and just got a new Kibler lock, and don’t have a flinter, and am missing one, and COVID is keeping me at home, and my wife is getting tired of me underfoot, ...........and these are excuses enough.......so I got a nice Rice .40 A weight swamped barrel, and
Here we go.   Had never inletted a swamped barrel and did this one without guides . Turned out pretty well except for one spot that a small gouge decided to “ignore the map”.  It will get fixed when the side is slabbed off and I can match the wood better.   Really proud of myself for hitting all 3 barrel lugs exactly dead center .   If the rest of it goes as well ( if I remain patient and don’t get in a hurry) I’ll  be shooting this
One about the time things open up and our club is holding regular matches again.

Mike Mullins

Offline 577SXS

Re: Started another one
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
Looks like a beautiful piece of wood.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
Yes, the wood is nice , from one end to the other.  I’m trying to decide what color to finish it with.  I’ve used Laurel Mountain Forge products and really like them.  Maybe will try something not as “red “ this time.
Mike Mullins

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 03:14:01 AM »
What is your inspiration gun so we can tell what we lookin at ?  and pics go well here--hint.......old dog

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 04:26:25 AM »
There really is no single inspiration gun .   I am planning a general Lancaster style gun and have a couple of pics of Melchior Fordney guns tabbed in my copy Of Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850.   I think the stock as cut here will generally work out right, and I just received a Bivins buttplate and trigger guard that I plan to use.  I am shooting for a finished weight in the 7 lb. range ( maybe a little less.  Looks like I will have more latitude in slimming the forend than I originally thought.).   I’m having hernia repair surgery in a week, so I should have some time to think the details out.
Mike Mullins

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 04:55:49 AM »

Here’s a better pic
Mike Mullins

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 01:04:19 AM »
Cut the sides of the stock down today.......had surgery Monday ( umbilical hernia repair..... not supposed to lift over 8 lbs..  gun weighs 9 lbs after trimming so Im figuring I’m ok).  I  think sawing it off was good exercise ( and didn’t involve lifting.)   Shooting for a 7 to 8 lb. rifle when done and there’s a lot more to come off.   UPS dropped off 3 sheets of dead soft brass as I was walking up the hill from the shop.   What a great day !

dallas children's advocacy center
Mike Mullins

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 01:09:40 AM »
I’ve had the umbilical hernia surgery. Don’t over do it and don’t expect to be up to speed for a very long time. It’s a rough go. Good luck with it!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 01:18:11 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Stoner Creek.    I’ve been very careful thus far, but had to get out to the shop and do something.   I am afraid my wife would be plotting “ husbandicide” if I had stayed in the house.  Took my time and stayed upright and vertical.   Appreciate the advice.  Am doing much better than  tues and weds of this week.
Mikeyfirelock
Mike Mullins

Offline Cherrybow

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 11:49:47 PM »
Like Stoner creek said, take it easy. I thought I could “cowboy up” after mine....NOT...so we’ll patiently await your progress! Nice project!

Offline satwel

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 01:15:58 AM »
Great job on the barrel inlet. Can you please tell me where you purchased that frame saw? I'm not having much luck finding one that size.

Thanks

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 01:57:07 AM »
Thanks for the advice all, and I’m trying to behave.  I have avoided lifting thus far ( doc said 8 lb. limit.....gun weighs 8-1/2 lbs.  close enough, and I’ve only lifted it once or twice.  See him tomorrow).   I appreciate the compliment on barrel inletting but I must admit to using some of the thin sawed off stuff to fill in some gaps near the muzzle.
I have had the frame saw for forever but I’m sure Highland Woodworking has several types....get the cheapest one, there’s nothing it won’t do as well as the others.  Just sharpened the blade on mine...cuts like a chainsaw now.   Attached see progress today

Mike Mullins