Author Topic: Before and After  (Read 3918 times)

jwh1947

Before and After
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:10:24 AM »
Just for fun.  For those of you that have the library resources available, compare the Andreas Albrecht rifle found on pp. 198-199 of Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America, Vol.1 with the Albrecht found in Chapter VII of The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle: A Lancaster Legend by Heckert and Vaughn.  It's one-in-the-same.  Before restoration in George's book, after a professional re-do in our book.  Note that the rifle was pretty far gone when George photographed it, yet the valuable essentials--genuine butt stock with unaltered architecture and carving, and a signed long barrel--rendered the specimen valuable for study in untouched condition. If I am not mistaken it is the only signed Andreas Albrecht known to exist.  A truly important rifle. JWH

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Before and After
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »
Wayne,
I must have missed this earlier, but I think your ‘just for fun’ post is quite interesting, and I noticed the two sets of pictures many moons ago when your book came out.
I think this rifle is a great example of what can be achieved with an excellent restoration, but at the same time, would have been a excellent example of a rifle that should have just been kept as found.
As Shumway pointed out, the gun as found had everything necessary for the student to study, so from that standpoint, the rifle needed nothing. Beat to $#*! as it was, it still had all the important elements intact, as well as what was possibly some of its original finish.
As restored, it certainly ‘shows’ much better, and to most collectors will be more highly appreciated. And if you look closely, you’ll see that the restorer left all the nicks, scratches and blemishes, and only added to the rifle what was missing. I’ve never seen this rifle in person but hope to someday, and would bet that if you looked closely the original finish is still there under the restorers work. 
So is the rifle better in this restored condition?
Or should it have been left as found?
Personally I don’t know, as I see merits in both conditions.
John   
PS. As far as I know, it's still the only signed example.
John Robbins

Top Jaw

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:19:40 AM »
Who did the restoration work?

jwh1947

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 04:45:14 AM »
Hey guys, didn't Ditchburn do this one? Wayne

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:17:16 AM »
I am for restoration! If it is a great rifle (or even just good), put it right!
I heard that Alan Gutchess restored ther Albrecht; I think that this is a verifiable statement. Also there is a lock extant that bears the name A. Albrecht. It was said to have been found in a barn in New England. It was written up in the KRA Newsletter some years ago. Don't know who owns it.
Dick

Offline RifleResearcher

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:52:46 AM »
Guilty as charged.  If my failing memory serves, it would have been done sometime between 1985-1987 roughly.  I learned a bunch about how Albrecht worked from restoring that gun.
Alan
"Sarcasm: The last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

jwh1947

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:30:38 AM »
I remember photographing it.  You did a great job!

jwh1947

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 07:14:44 PM »
I think Tim can put his hands on the lock.