Author Topic: Look What the Mailman just Brung Me!  (Read 11109 times)

Colonial Riflesmith

Re: Look What the Mailman just Brung Me!
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 04:55:17 AM »
I have one of these, also. Iv'e had it for about 30 years. Pete G is correct about the load. It's a fun littel gun. Enjoy it. just stick with targets and cans. 7 to 10 is a good distance. Like any other gun, it's safe as long as you are safe with it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:01:15 AM by Colonial Riflesmith »

Sam Everly

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
Hey, fellas don't use tires as a back stop. I was shooting my 44 colt revolver at some and one ball came back and hit my leg . Man that hurt and the ball broke the skin , i gave myself a good talking to that day, on how stupid i was some times . It seems i need to learn the hard way every time . And that was from about 20 yards back .   

northmn

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 05:03:58 AM »
Everyone should play with a Derringer like that once.  They are kind of fun.  You have been warned about shooting oak trees with it so don't shoot oaks.  I used mine with about 30-40 grains of 3f.  I believe it would not penetrate a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood until I upped it to that level.  Ball would stick in.  Anything I could hit with it was too big to shoot with it.  Might get it mad.

DP

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 04:30:41 AM »
I can't belive how many folks have one of these. I also find it incredibale how many people have had oak trees shoot back. Let's see, we use a back stop for safety, right. Seems like something is amiss here in the safety department.

Now if we were talking about a dueling pistol maybe this is a good test. We have live oaks down here (remember Old Ironsides)? Popping off at one of those would probably be and excellent "living history" demonstartion of a live duel on the field of honor.

Not quite sure how my medical insurance would handle the explanation of having lost a duel with an oak tree, however.