Author Topic: Shooting after a hiatus  (Read 1340 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Shooting after a hiatus
« on: October 26, 2020, 06:06:10 PM »
The past couple years have been fairly busy, and I haven't had a chance to do much (any?) muzzleloading.  Went with my son to the monthly shoot at Lafayette Longrifles (Fuquay Varina, NC) this past weekend.   It sure felt good to burn a bit of powder again.

Took my DGW TN Mtn rifle as that is one of my go-to hunting rifles and I'd like to take a deer with it this fall.  Most notably, my son fired the rifle a number of times and his marksmanship training seems to have stuck.  He did quite well, and now that he's almost 13 he seemed somewhat immune to the recoil (compared to the the last time he fired a .50 long rifle).  I believe I may need to find him a .45 rifle to practice with.   He couldn't quite hold the DGW rifle steady in the off-hand, but I think he could hold a bit lighter rifle well enough.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Shooting after a hiatus
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 01:08:36 AM »
Yep!  Start 'em young and keep 'em going; that's the way to do it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 05:09:32 AM »
A smaller caliber with the same type of ignition is a great way to practice.  Same process, little recoil and less powder.  A rifle with a shorter barrel  might be easier for him for a while.  Its more fun when they can hit the target with consistency.  He will probably grow into the DGW in a short time.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
A .45 or .36 on a 13/16" bl. of 32" would be about perfect. Something like this that my daughter is shooting.
This is my wife's T.C. Seneca with slightly shortened stock and a .45 GM barrel. 32" long. Wooden under-rib, so light in the hand and low recoil,
yet enough "power" for hunting deer. Oh yeah, at the time of this picture, the rifle had an aluminum rod - sry 'bout that.
I also cast a nose piece and changed the lock to a leaf-spring lock with a Bedford country hammer.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 10:31:53 PM »
He has a Traditions "Squirrel" rifle in .32, which is probably fine for him to practice with for now.  I want to give him time to go through the loading cycle repeatedly (under my watchful eye, of course).  I want to instill in him a systematic approach so that he learns good habits while handling muzzleloaders.

In a year or two he will likely be able to shoulder anything I put in his hands. 
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:15:09 PM »
They do grow quickly,bro. My grandson showed me that'n. Good on y'all. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)