Author Topic: Some more pics  (Read 1623 times)

Offline jbigley

Some more pics
« on: October 27, 2020, 01:06:09 AM »
Some pics of projects:

This is what I call a Boot Bowie. It has a sheath that can be worn either on the belt or on the neck. Damascus blade, mule deer haft, brass guard and butt cap.

I made this from a file. It is razor sharp. Purple heart scales (I think). I found the sheath in a wickiup at the Sacajawea Center in the Spring, having spent the winter under about a foot of snow. It was an un-finished "kit" that I thought would be perfect for my file knife.

An effigy knife. Damascus blade, "George Washington" portrait. Sheath was a gift from Rick Lindsey, made by his wife.

Neck Bowie. My wife's knife. Rawhide sheath with trade braid edge binding.

Braintan pouch holding (one of my) flint and steel kits. Pouch and beadwork by my wife, braintan by me.

A buffalo horn spoon with eagle effigy and white bead eye. A Valentine gift to my wife.

An obsidian neck knife (made by me)  styled after one I saw worn by Alice T., member of the Women of the Fur Trade.
Thanks for looking. :D --JB

Offline old george

Re: Some more pics
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:24:58 AM »
Some nice looking items. I really liked the boot/neck bowie Damascus blade. It's a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline jbigley

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 08:31:57 PM »
Some nice looking items. I really liked the boot/neck bowie Damascus blade. It's a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

george
Thanks, George. Your positive response is much appreciated. :D --JB

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 01:58:13 AM »
Love the horn spoon. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Not English

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 06:04:45 AM »
Nice looking work. It took me a while to realize you were using Kennedy half dollars! It's been awhile since I've seen them.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 03:29:10 PM »
Bob

Me too Bob!  I like the other projects as well, but that spoon really caught my eye.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline jbigley

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »
Bob
Thanks for the kind words. The spoon was actually pretty easy to make, just time consuming. It is made of a buffalo horn, sliced straight across, then scraped and sanded "smooth."  The eye is a bone bead.  Emery cloth and a smooth stone for the final polish. The eagle head is *supposed* to look like NW Coast, which could be considered kind of *different* on a buffalo horn spoon.  But it is not supposed to be a replicated artifact, just a gift for my wife. I made it in camp in AZ a few years back. Took me about  a week to finish. She liked it, too.
Thanks for looking --JB