Author Topic: Two more flasks these are French  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

Two more flasks these are French
« on: October 27, 2020, 06:18:44 PM »
The Boche powder flask drops 78 grains of FFg at its middle setting and the shot flask drops 1.3 oz of #6 shot in the 1 1/4 setting.  Close enough for the 16 gauge.

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Two more flasks these are French
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 05:34:26 PM »
Very nice and tidy flasks, Dennis!
She shot flask looks very nice work.
I have never owned a French powder flask, but they are very safe flasks to use.   
I have Seen the odd one, but they were a rather high price.

Best,
Richard.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 07:57:51 PM »
Richard-the asking prices for many of the flasks listed on the web are ridiculous and unrealistic. It has taken patience to find flasks in good condition and priced fairly.  I paid just under $80 for each of these including the shipping.  This is in the range of new reproductions and I'd much rather have the old ones.

The shot flask came from the Netherlands and the powder flask came from Paris.  Both needed work.  The powder flask was missing the charger adjustment stop screw.  I thought it was a 1-64 screw but turns out it was something slightly smaller.  Victor Machinery had taps and dies for this sized screw and I made a 1-64 screw and enlarged the slots by about .007" to work properly.

The spring on the shot flask was cracked and I made a new one of 1075 stock.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:36:52 PM »
I like 'em. Agreed, I would prefer an original for use. Thumbs up. --JB

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »
You will find that  with this type of flask those made from horn are only for powder and the leather ones for shot  To put shot in any horn flask will cause a noise which will spook any game  in a close  diameter  . Once you get used to  using them they are OK and throw a true load .
Feltwad

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 01:26:21 AM »
Feltwad-Nice flasks. Both of the Boche charger flasks I have are leather and both have identical settings of "8", "9" and "10" which is in the ball park of the actual charges of FFFg that they drop.  This seems to argue that they were intended for powder use not shot. I'd be interested in your opinion.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
Dennis

The flasks that I have are  both leather and horn  what I  have found that on most the tops are interchangeable  you will find that the leather flasks are stamped with the weight when full   
{1K 2 1/4} which I take to be shot .
Feltwad

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 07:03:14 AM »
Very nice french flasks in extreme good condition!
I like them!
Flasks with a functioning Boche type charger are rather rare and most of the time the price was too high for me. I do agree with you, Dennis:
"The asking prices for many of the flasks listed on the web are ridiculous and unrealistic."

Congratulations!
Thank you for showing these fine flasks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:01:31 PM by Dutch Blacky »