Author Topic: Lyman GPR Flint values?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline RANGER94

Lyman GPR Flint values?
« on: October 29, 2020, 03:36:00 PM »
Are there differences with the values of the Lyman GPR from certain timeframes?  My .50 cal Flint Lyman GPR is from the early 80s.  I was not sure if there are quality differences from then until now?

thanks!!

Ranger94

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Lyman GPR Flint values?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 07:12:43 PM »
There is a big difference in the quality of an early Great Plains, and one of current production. The old ones, other than not being stylistically Hawken correct in every minute detail, were a lot of value for your buck. They often had an issue with cutting patches when new, but continued shooting smoothed them out. The new ones on the other hand, have had recalls due to faulty breech plugs, often arrive with flintlocks that won’t make a spark on a bet, and generally have inferior fit, and finish, to the earlier production guns. JMO, experiences may very.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:34:45 PM »
I think the newer ones made by Pedersoli might have been a move by Lyman to improve on the quality.
so, I would think the jury is out until someone we know, buys one of the newest ones. Of course, the
timing is very important - just when did this change of mfg'r location take place?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 01:48:02 AM »
 The Great Plains rifle I was referring to was bought as a Christmas gift for Christmas last year, and it took until the middle of June to make it functional. So I think it is a Pedersoli product.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 08:12:16 PM »
There ya go, timing is everything, it seems!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 11:28:40 PM »
Pedersoli is NOT making all the new ones, only the new deluxe model. It is styled much differently than the Investarms ones and is priced higher.