Author Topic: Bivens Bicentennial Rifle #33  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Macs69

• Starting Member
Bivens Bicentennial Rifle #33
« on: October 29, 2020, 11:31:14 PM »
Good afternoon, all. Was at a small local blackpowder shop a couple of weeks ago, and stumbled on Bivins Bicentennial rifle #33. This one is wonderfully complete, and has the leather hunting bag, powder horn, test target, all literature, and a folder with some typed correspondence between the buyer and Mr. Bivins.

Offline Macs69

• Starting Member
Re: Bivens Bicentennial Rifle #33
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 11:32:45 PM »

Offline Macs69

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 11:35:59 PM »

Offline vanu

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »
Did you get it?!

Offline Macs69

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 08:09:53 PM »
Yes sir! Figured that if I passed it up, I would likely never have an opportunity at another one.

Offline vanu

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 01:37:00 AM »
Awesome! good call....

Bruce

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 03:37:35 AM »
Awesome rifle for sure. When I was a kid I wanted one of these in the worst way. I probably would have sold a kidney to get one. Through the years I had seen a few of them come up for sale, but I was either too broke or too late to acquire one. Finally, after 40 plus years, I was able to get one. It's number three. You are lucky. Mine didn't come with the horn or plaque, but I am still most delighted. Way to go!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 01:09:35 AM »
I am glad that you found that one and gave it a good home.  Unlike some 1970s guns, if built today that gun would surely get fine compliments.  That buttstock carving looks nice.  Thank you for sharing it with us.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 01:32:17 AM »
Wonderful find, Mac. Great rifle then and now. The man was ahead of most. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline duca

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 01:50:27 AM »
WOW! Awesome! How did yo stumble on that? couldn't imagine finding one in my local gun store.

Anthony 
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Macs69

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 01:42:49 PM »
Me either! I actually bought Mike Brooks Lion & Lamb rifle immediately before this, and resolved that I was going have one rifle, and that was it. Then I stumbled on this one, and the plan went out the window. I admired these for years. I figured that I’d never have another opportunity at one. I did do a bit of chronic overspending, but that will resolve itself fairly shortly.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 02:34:55 AM »
That is just remarkable and beyond cool in my book!  I was too young to really appreciate the event back in '76 but with all that is happening today I wish I'd paid more attention and kept more memorabilia.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 09:29:24 PM »
The cover of the 1976 Gun Digest had the picture of that (or one of them) rifle on it's purple coloured cover.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 09:29:20 PM »
Actually Daryl, that cover is the 1977 Gun Digest that you may be referring to in your post.

The brass-mounted longrifle on the left was made by Monte Manderino, who at the time, was studying gunmaking under the late John Bivins. I believe Monte was either a graduate of the Colorado School of Trades or Trinidad Junior College School of Gunsmithing.

The rifle the right was made by John Bivins for my "Partner in Grime", the late Lewis Sanchez of Tampa, FL. The "Hunter's Star" is inlaid ivory & ebony. Lewis, in turn, built a rifle for John.

My rifle, built by John in 1977, is the same architecture as Lew's rifle, except mine is little more subtle in the decorative artistry. Mine was John's first build for a left-handed owner, and the Siler lock, one of the first dozen left-hand locks Bud made, was fitted & polished by Monte. His initials, "M M", grace the inside plate of the lock.

I may have the rifles reversed as I am breaking the NC Governor's ruling about being with just immediate family members for Christmas, and not at home to check myself.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 09:14:35 PM »
Thanks for the Clarification, Buck.  I was trying to remember back 35 years or so, when I last looked at that edition. I now remember Monte Manderino's rifle being there as well, not that you
mention it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Devoe

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 03:42:50 AM »
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.