Author Topic: Horn Care?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline RANGER94

Horn Care?
« on: October 30, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
Hello Everyone - I inherited several powder horns made in the 1970s.  They are still in great shape.  I would like to keep them that way.  Any advice on their care?

Thanks!!

Ranger94

Offline Daryl

Re: Horn Care?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »
All of mine have powder in them and are stored in the basement - about 63F & fairly constant. They seem to survive just fine.
The horn I bought at Dixon's a bunch of years back was perhaps thinned a bit too much. In our dryer climate out West, here,
it cracked over about 8" long on one side. I simply filled the crack with medium CA and let it harden. The crack can be felt, but
not seen & it has been fine ever since.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RANGER94

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:10:31 PM »
Daryl - you are now my Muzzleloading Coach.

I am now on the "rec" team.  I am striving to get put on the "Travel" team!

Thanks for everything!  I can be  a PITA.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 07:50:20 PM »
Aside from just plain old rough handling or abuse, the biggest enemy to powderhorns that I have encountered is bugs. Carpet beetle larvae love to snack on cow horn and will turn a horn into swiss cheese and ruin it before you know they're there... especially if you store horns in a closet or other dark secluded place.

Keep them out in the open where there is plenty of light. Show them off. Take them down and handle them every chance you get. This will keep the little munchers away as good as anything.

Mike

Offline RANGER94

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 10:30:47 PM »
Sounds great!!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 01:20:50 AM »
Hey Ranger,

Every horn I have has had a shot of Raid or Bengal sprayed inside, and the outside wiped with the same on a rag. 

Those beetles love to crawl inside a horn and lay eggs, and the babies hatch out and start eating.  Keep a stopper firmly in place on all horns. 

Otherwise, horns are pretty tough.  Keep them out in the light as was noted, and in the same climate you'd live in. 

Hope this helps.   God Bless,  Marc

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 12:37:30 AM »
If you like to make horns and have a few rough horns around, don't keep them in a card board box where mice can get to them (garage).  Mice will chew through the box and then on the horns as well.  A hard plastic container keeps them dry and safe.  Good furniture polish seems to help seal the horn if the surface is starting to check from exposure.  Finished horns of 40 years + hanging high on a wall peg seem to do just fine.  I also have a couple of originals from the 1800's that do just fine at room temperature.

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 03:32:10 AM »
   Our very long dry winters in Minnesota can roughen and dry horns,   I'm not sure how great a job it does but I lightly wipe mine down with some olive oil once in awhile.