Author Topic: Mr Flintlock's Lube  (Read 1631 times)

Offline bluedog1

• Starting Member
Mr Flintlock's Lube
« on: October 30, 2020, 06:47:38 PM »
Have a question:  I work at Fort Chambers Gun shop in Chambersburg pa.  At the shop we have a disagreement.  One of us says that Mr. Flintlock's lube is the same recipe as Lehigh Valley Lube.  The other says it is not.  I feel sure I am correct but need corroboration.  Is it or isn't it?

Offline T*O*F

Re: Mr Flintlock's Lube
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 07:02:44 PM »
They taste different so the recipe probably varies.  However, they may contain the same ingredients.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 07:17:00 PM »
Both work equally well.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
Have a question:  I work at Fort Chambers Gun shop in Chambersburg pa.  At the shop we have a disagreement.  One of us says that Mr. Flintlock's lube is the same recipe as Lehigh Valley Lube.  The other says it is not.  I feel sure I am correct but need corroboration.  Is it or isn't it?

I have used both and I give the nod to my Original Lehigh Valley Lube. Having said that I have not seen a lot of difference in the two, the bore seems to stay a little cleaner with the LV. If I could not get LV I would gladly buy Mr. Flintlock.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 08:24:16 PM »
I have and have used both. I see no difference in their shooting, either from the accuracy standpoint or their cleanliness
in shooting.  With the smaller bores, Mr. Flintlock, like LHV needs more powder to get the same accuracy as a water based
lube. In the .40 and .45, this amounted to 10gr. more powder.
In the .69, they seem identical to any other lube. No wiping needed at any time, same poi and accuracy.  The vel. however,
could be different. I have not chronographed it to find out. It matters not.
In the .40 and .45, however, LHV, in the 65gr. 3G F GOEX in the .40 and 75gr. 3F GOEX weight in the .45, both made over 2,230fps
 - 2,240fps, seems to me IIRC.  These velocities are higher than I have seen others post for these calibres and loads. I can
only chock that up to the ball and patch combinations I use, in comparison to theirs.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 03:51:22 AM »
They are similar in composition but not exactly the same in final chemistry.  In some guns you will see no difference and in other guns you will see a little advantage in the LVH version.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »
I have used both extensively. I like both of them better than a LOT of other options. I was disappointed when Tom took LHV back off the market as I prefer it over Mr. Flintlock when I have a choice between them.
They are by no means "the same recipe". As Mad Monk pointed out...similar, but NOT the same. I'm still well supplied with both. As a Chemist, when faced with the loss of my favorite I did some research into the MSDS information available and based upon that, a lot of discussions posted in forums over the years that could be dug up and my conversations with Tom from LHV...I have been able to create a replacement for LHV that is indistinguishable on paper targets from LHV and works just as well for multiple shots without issues. It's not some kind of "magic potion"...the same thing can be said about an almost infinite number of concoctions any of us might come up with. "F3"...(the third formulation I tried) is simply the one I decided to go with when my supply of LHV is exhausted.
Daryl...now you have me curious about actual velocity numbers. Once our Winter sets in down here daytime temperatures will cascade down into the 70's, it will stop raining everyday so that a guy can pack a lunch and spend a day at the range. I'm going to have to break out the chronograph and start gathering those numbers from my barrels..(40 and 50 cal.).
Those of you still reading...I love this kind of stuff. I suspect there's a nascent Bench shooter deep down inside me, but I'm not there yet. I'll go ahead and say it before someone else does: None of this makes a measureable difference on offhand targets fired from any of my long slender barrels.  ;D
I do it because it's FUN.   ;)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 08:25:48 PM »
Don - I'll see if I can find the data sheet on those load's velocities. I no longer have either of those rifles
however I might still have the data. It might also have accompanied the rifles?
Adding 10gr. more 2F in both rifles, compared to their 3F LHV loads, gave just about exactly the same vel.
as in 2,230fps + or - 10-fps.
Seems to me, the .40's LHV load was 65gr.3F and 75gr. 2F, while the .45 GM bl. was 75gr. 3F and 85gr. 4F. Both barrels
were 42" long and fit the same rifle.
Later on, the .40 Goodoien barrel was reduced to 38" and mounted on a 1/2 stock rifle and the .45 was left at 42", but
Taylor re-built the rifle into a 1/2 stock. Both rifles were fitted with wooden under ribs.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 08:30:09 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 01:17:42 AM »
I just did a back-to-back test recently with Lehigh Valley Lube and the Hoppe's Blackpowder Lubricant and Cleaner.  In my test the Hoppe's was much more slippery when wet lubing.  It is also a bit thicker.  For a tight load, ramming the ball was easier than with the Lehigh Valley.  Just one person on one day, but worth a test on your end.   God Bless,   Marc