Author Topic: Inletting Lock Plate  (Read 2899 times)

Offline silky

Inletting Lock Plate
« on: October 31, 2020, 07:17:52 AM »
Evening,

I searched through a number of old posts but didn’t find the answer...

When preparing to inlet the lock plate on a swamped barrel, do you prepare the lock side of the stock by making it parallel to the side flat of the barrel, or keep it parallel to the bore of the barrel? I understand that in doing the latter, you’ll have to eventually start inletting the nose of the lock plate deeper (Relative to the surface of the wood) in order to make the bolster sit flush with the flat of the barrel... strikes me as an opportunity to more easily induce rocking/pivot points in the inlet.

Just looking for best practices in this respect before I get started on it.

Thank you!

- Tom

* Updated with a picture I hope illustrates/clarifies what I’m asking about *

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:33:15 AM by silky »

Offline flehto

Re: Inletting Lock Plate
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 07:27:36 AM »
I inlet a lock so the lock bolster seals off on the side bbl flat.....Fred

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 03:09:54 PM »
Yes.  For a single-barrel flintlock rifle I make the lock area of the stock parallel to the barrel flat and the surface lowered to near finished thickness before beginning to inlet the lock.  Be aware, however, that some percussion guns had the lock inlet with the rear of the lock toed in to lessen the surface distance between the wrist and the lock panel.  Many double-barrel flintlocks also had the rear of the locks toed in.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 06:05:37 PM »
Parallel to the flat. A nice flare to the wrist is a characteristic of flint guns with swamped barrels.
Best to do it before inletting, but will also turn out that way when you lower the lock panel to the lock bevel.
Hope I explained that well.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline silky

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »
Awesome -- thank you!

Parallel to the flat. A nice flare to the wrist is a characteristic of flint guns with swamped barrels.
Best to do it before inletting, but will also turn out that way when you lower the lock panel to the lock bevel.
Hope I explained that well.

Yup, that's exactly what I was after with that question.  I understand that in the end the lock panel area will have that flare regardless of how I begin the inletting; just looking for advice on which was the better starting point.  Thanks!

- Tom

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 06:46:58 PM »
Bill Raby has a video somewhere on his channel that explains that and some tips for doing that. I watch his videos religiously

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
I do not taper the stock prior to inletting the lock.  I inlet it 'til the bolster lays hard against the side flat, then remove the wood to expose the plate down to the bevel.  This helps avoid damaging the edge of the inlet and leaves a crisp sharp inlet of the plate.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 01:40:44 AM »
I inlet the lock parallel to the barrel flat. Except the one that I am working on. That one is angled the opposite direction.

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 04:58:02 AM »
I don't recall where I read it, (maybe it was Jack Brooks?) but someone offered the observation, by looking at antiques, that original Artificer's Lock Bolsters were filed to be parallel with the bore (creating a narrower wrist), whilst modern practice is leave the bolster an even thickness to inlet parallel to the Swamped (or Straight-sided) barrel flat (giving a wider wrist).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:08:38 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 06:11:20 PM »
I don't recall where I read it, (maybe it was Jack Brooks?) but someone offered the observation, by looking at antiques, that original Artificer's Lock Bolsters were filed to be parallel with the bore (creating a narrower wrist), whilst modern practice is leave the bolster an even thickness to inlet parallel to the Swamped (or Straight-sided) barrel flat (giving a wider wrist).
Which is all fine and dandy, but has nothing to do with KY rifles.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 08:59:22 PM »
Which is all fine and dandy, but has nothing to do with KY rifles.

It seems to have been Buchele, not Brooks, in "Recreating the American Longrifle" - where Buchele, et al. discuss lock to wrist architecture.

In re-reading "Installing the Lock": if a straight sided barrel is used, it tells of filing a taper starting at the front of a bolster to kick out the lock's tail, so as to emulate the effect of using a swamped barrel. 

"It should be emphasized, however, that Rifle Makers of the Golden Age, when using straight barrels, made no attempt to kick out the tail of the lock"

But...
I do remember (imperfectly sometimes) something about where the rear of the lock bolster was filed to a taper to permit a less fat wrist on a Swamped/tapered Barreled Gun - maybe I'm mis-remembering and confusing this with SxS Shotguns....?   

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 09:50:37 PM »
On a Hawken rifle, I file the tail end of the bolster so that the back end of the plate tucks in and creates an oval or egg shaped wrist, as opposed to a round one.  This also provides more wood at the front end of the plate to create a nice convex forestock rather than a slab-sided one.  Many English rifles have this feature as well.  But not Kentucky rifles.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 11:22:05 PM »
It seems to have been Buchele, not Brooks, in "Recreating the American Longrifle" - where Buchele, et al. discuss lock to wrist architecture.
And this is why I answer so few questions anymore, it's a freakin waste of time.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 01:37:16 AM »
In re-reading "Installing the Lock": if a straight sided barrel is used, it tells of filing a taper starting at the front of a bolster to kick out the lock's tail, so as to emulate the effect of using a swamped barrel. 
That is a good idea if you want to screw up the lower forestock architecture.
David