Author Topic: Loss of backyard shooting range .  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Dave R

Loss of backyard shooting range .
« on: November 24, 2020, 07:44:56 PM »
Has anyone built a underground tunnel shooting range with an exhaust fan at the target end to exhaust
Blackpowder smoke ect? Possibly dig a trench and install 36” corrugated drainage pipe or concrete pipe??
If so give us the pro’s and cons. Thanks Dave R

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Loss of backyard shooting range .
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:51:08 PM »
I have a friend who built a range under his shot at his home in the counrty.  It's about 12' wide and 25 meters long, with exhaust to remove smoke and lead fumes.  He was building a new shop, so built the range first and covered it with the shop.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 08:30:19 PM »
While I have not done this, Hornaday in Grand Island NE has a setup like this to test their ammo.   It is 200 yards long.

I dont know that they use BP for anything they test.   I have toured their facility twice, interesting place if you find yourself in the area as they give tours.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »
You guys are serious!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Maven

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 08:46:40 PM »
John Alexander, the president of the Cast Bullet Association, did that when he lived in Maine.  You may want to PM him via the CBA Forum for specifics.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 12:19:01 AM »
Our local gun club has an indoor range that is limited to handgun and 22 cal. rifles.  It has fans directly over the firing points to exhaust fumes/smoke.  You would need some major air moving capacity for completely enclosed black powder shooting.  There is an indoor range in Cody Wy. that lets customers shoot historic guns from flintlocks to Gatling guns indoors.  They could probably help you with questions. It is called the Wild West Experience or something along that line.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 12:22:37 AM »
My friend has a below ground range. It's his basement  ;D   He opens a window and sets up a fan .
He was shooting his .36 cal flintlock all winter.....when his wife wasn't home , of course !

Offline recurve

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 12:55:28 AM »
On another site there was a club in NJ that has a underground 100 yrd range, it is a pit at each end enclosed block building with pipe making up the distance between, air is let in the shooters end and fan drawn out at the target end.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 05:16:07 AM »
I must admit, I am quite surprised to read that someone has the same idea that I've been harboring for some years.  I am seriously thinking of doing exactly this when we eventually move (hopefully to lot with more land that we have now in a subdivision).

I envision a full basement, with one section walled off into a small shooting room with a shooting bench, a table for cleaning guns and reloading equipment, etc.   A tunnel comprised of concrete cylinder sections (36" probably, perhaps 48").  Ideally, at least a 50 yard run with an I-beam to act as a track for a target carriage.  Run a few lights along the top, with heavy steel to protect them from shots.  Rig a simple  carriage (maybe a cable running to pulleys on each end) to run to the end and bring the target back.  A ventilator fan at the target end would pull smoke and gases down the tube and out to the surface.

I guess great minds DO think alike... :)
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 06:06:22 AM »
The Great Escape 1963

For me I wouldn't consider a underground shooting range any tighter than I could stand straight up in and walk around comfortably. Also an anti-snake and spider plan plus adequate drainage would be a top priority. Pretty cool idea shooting from the basement but I used to work in a building with a .22 range in the basement and it was pretty unnerving hearing gunshots just below your feet.

Just my thoughts but overall I like the idea of a private shooting range close to home.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 07:25:19 AM »
Taylor and I know that puffing off small quantities of BP in a shop, is hard on steel tools.
You would need serious ventilation on or just ahead of the firing line, not just at the target butt.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dave R

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »
Thanks for all the practical useful information! Food for thought!
Dave R

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 06:35:08 PM »
I would think that BP smoke would clear out quickly in a small culvert.   Simply not that much cubic feet of air to move.  Just got to size your fans appropriately.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »
On another site there was a club in NJ that has a underground 100 yrd range, it is a pit at each end enclosed block building with pipe making up the distance between, air is let in the shooters end and fan drawn out at the target end.

The club you speak of is in Summerville NJ and I have been to it. My uncle is a member of the club. I don't think they shoot black powder rifles in that tunnel at least he never said that they do.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 06:54:42 PM »
 There used to be a large grocery store in Sonoma County California that had a shooting range under it. I can’t imagine they would let you do that now.
 Make sure you build solid walls that will not collapse from water saturation, or earthquakes. Most people have no idea how easily a cave in can kill you. It doesn’t even have to totally cover you to snuff out your life.

Hungry Horse

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 07:15:08 PM »
A good friend of mine has a 50 yard range made of concrete block but its above ground. Just a block building with about 8 feet of dirt in the end of it for backstop. He has sound proofing material on walls and ceiling. Standing outside you hear less than someone hammering nails when he is shooting. Its heated and cooled which really makes it nice. I thought of building one out of shipping containers lined up end to end. Probably the cheapest way to build a shooting tunnel other than drain pipe. The nice thing about the containers is they are 8 feet wide and up to 10 feet tall. I'm near the state ports so you can buy 40 foot containers for $1000 to $2000 depending on condition. You could bury the containers if you want a underground range.

LuVerne Schumann

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 06:49:05 AM »
There used to be a large grocery store in Sonoma County California that had a shooting range under it. I can’t imagine they would let you do that now.
 Make sure you build solid walls that will not collapse from water saturation, or earthquakes. Most people have no idea how easily a cave in can kill you. It doesn’t even have to totally cover you to snuff out your life.

Hungry Horse

I think you miss the point. A 12 inch culvert is never going to collapse, and requires no walls to be built.

If you weren't going to shoot from your basement, you could easily drop a pre cast concrete sewer join in for a big of cash, and have all the space you need.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »
Dave, what happened to your “normal” backyard range, as per the title?

Offline Dave R

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
Thanks for all the information!!
Loss of backyard shooting range happened to several friends
Not me!
Thanks Everyone!
DR