Author Topic: A Rare Kentucky Barrel by Daniel Bryan of Lexington  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
A Rare Kentucky Barrel by Daniel Bryan of Lexington
« on: November 04, 2020, 08:08:36 AM »
Several months ago I got a call about a restocked rifle with an earlier signed barrel by Daniel Bryan of Lexington, Kentucky. I was offered, and purchased, the gun and now have one of only two known, signed Daniel Bryan barrels. Bryan was one of the most important gunsmiths in early Kentucky, and is thought to be the primary architect of the Lexington School patchbox, with its iconic cast brass two-piece design so well known to Kentucky collectors.

The slender barrel is signed on a silver plate "D. Bryan  J. Atchison." John Atchison was a wealthy early citizen of Lexington. The remaining barrel is 45-1/2" long with an approximate .44 caliber bore, 7 groove rifling, and a light swamp at the muzzle. The barrel was shortened 2-1/8" at the breech when restocked and the original tang lost. The restocked rifle used the original pipes off the earlier Bryan rifle, as well as the original butt plate, but the original guard, side plate, and patchbox [if one was on the rifle] were discarded. The original pipes are worn down to razor sharp front ends from long usage, and the front pipe has actually been turned around with its duller, less worn end forward. The butt plate was ruined by indifferent re-filing to fit a thinner, less tall butt stock. But the original flintlock was reused as a percussion lock; it is stamped "C. Bird & Co." Those locks seemed to replace the earlier "T. Ketland" locks often used on Lexington guns up to about 1820.

To many, an old barrel is less than exciting, but to a collector of early Kentucky guns, it's a gem. The barrel no longer resides in its last stock... but sits next to two original Bryan rifles, each signed by one of Daniel Bryan's gunsmithing sons, William Bryan and Lewis Bryan. And don't ask to see the restock the barrel was found in... it's too ugly to show.  Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 07:06:18 AM by Tanselman »

Offline vanu

Re: A Rare Kentucky Barrel by Daniel Bryan of Lexington
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
Very cool! Thanks for sharing the image. Love the Bryan rifles, i used to own one that was made for a fellow named Kelley, i think Mel owns it now.
Bruce

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 12:13:45 AM »
I know the "Kelly" rifle well, signed "L & W Bryan" on a silver plate, since I also owned it for a number of years before moving it on to Mel. It was thought to be a Virginia rifle back when I purchased it, but it was rather easy to show the prior owner in Virginia that the gun was actually a Lexington, Kentucky rifle... so he sold it to me. Shelby Gallien

Offline vanu

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 01:40:40 AM »
Yup, I owned it n the mid 80's, Found what looked like clear references to Greenbrier County where there were Bryan family members, who then moved on around 1819 or so. I sold it in '88 I think to Jim Melchior  - anyway a grand rifle that was used to purchase our 2nd home when our daughter was on the way...went for a very good reason!!

Im glad it's in good hands!

Bruce

Offline VP

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 04:46:42 AM »
Congratulation Shelby, a nice addition to your collection.

VP

Offline AZshot

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
You mean there really were "Kentucky Rifles?!"
I really like seeing those signature plates, wish they all did that.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »
Of the four signed "Bryan" rifles or barrel I've had over the years, and three others I've seen, or seen pictures, of the signature, this most recent barrel is the only one with the owner's name on the silver barrel plate. The Bryans usually put the original owner's name on a "skinny" silver oval soldered/riveted on the patchbox lid. After studying this recent barrel, I now think the original rifle it came from did not have a patchbox, thus no lid for the owner's name, and that is probably why this particular owner's name was included on the silver barrel inlay.  Shelby Gallien

Offline vanu

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 11:47:20 PM »
Cool details, thanks for posting Shelby

Bruce

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »
Very nice, and interesting! Thank you for sharing this.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320