Author Topic: Copy a historic engraving or improvise?  (Read 4418 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Copy a historic engraving or improvise?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2020, 07:51:13 PM »
Hi,
Here is where I am at.  I stopped stippling after filling in spaces between the mirrored designs on the lid.  I think I like this look better than stippling the entire lid but I've not decided yet.  I'll look at it for a while.  I angled the box in the photo so the light shows up the engraving better.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 08:23:20 PM »
Dave, it actually looks better than the original - less busy.  Commendations on your choice and execution.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline ToddCook

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 11:14:08 PM »
I like that a lot.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 03:28:51 AM »
Dan, you are most fortunate to have known Don & have some of his work. 8)

He was a great ML gunsmith. One of the very best from the late 1950s into the 1980s.  And was multifaceted, truly a "gun guy". I could show him a rifle in progress and he could see minor mistakes in shaping that I had missed as I came in the door. In his younger days he had access to numerous originals. A man in Oklahoma City where he lived for a time had a large collection. Stacked deep around the walls of a room in a hotel he owned. Some on display in the lobby. He got to examine the Antes Swivel but they would not let him do any repair since someone before him had taken the gun and made it worse. His FS Hawken was based on an original he had access to.  Nor was he adverse to improving things from original guns. In 1964 at Friendship he was offered $1500 for his personal Bedford which he then named "King's Ransom" when friend told him he had been offered a Kings Ransom for the gun.  As reference for you younger folks. In 1964 my Dad bought a International truck, not a pickup, a truck, Cab and chassis for 3200 NEW from the dealer in Independence, Iowa. AND it was THE premier medium truck design of its day not a truck frame with a pickup cab bolted on. So $1500 was a serious chunk of money in 1964 for a FL rifle. Don declined the offer but made a number of Bedfords. In the 1970s he found out that people were ordering rifles then selling them for a profit. So he raised his prices.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2020, 03:30:05 AM »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2020, 04:24:41 AM »
Dave, it is great to see your range of work!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2020, 04:54:27 AM »
I am not a gun builder, but to my eye that is not the prettiest engraving pattern on that original.  I think you could come up with something that would look more artistic.  Just my 2 cents worth.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2020, 04:55:21 AM »
Oops.  Just saw your engraving pattern.  I like it a lot better than the original.  Nicely done. 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »
Hi,
Thanks guys.  Here is a photo in better more neutral light.

The side panels are copies of the original with just parallel lines.

For those folks learning to engrave, there is no practice better than cutting long parallel lines.  A lot of sloppy tool control can be hidden in scrolls but not in parallel lines.

I still haven't decided.  Should I stipple the rest of the background on the lid or leave it as shown in my photo?

dave

dave 

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2020, 05:34:14 PM »
Well, well done!
Engraving is one thing I truly wish I had pursued 25 years ago. Had several opportunities, but failed to launch.
You my friend have a beautiful style, AND talent!
I love it.
I say stipple the rest of the lid.  Seems like it would show up the vines better, and better match the finial.
Nice job Dave!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2020, 05:55:19 PM »
I'd leave it - simply elegant and great texture. Well done Dave.

Offline ToddCook

• Starting Member
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2020, 06:27:24 PM »
I'd leave it.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
Stop stippling is my thought.  Well done (as we expected).
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »
Hi,
Here is where I am at.  I stopped stippling after filling in spaces between the mirrored designs on the lid.  I think I like this look better than stippling the entire lid but I've not decided yet.  I'll look at it for a while.  I angled the box in the photo so the light shows up the engraving better.

dave

Same here, looks good!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2020, 05:35:46 AM »
Leave it as is.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »
That looks good, Dave.  Like others have said, I like it better than the original.  Personally,  I don’t believe I would stipple the rest of the lid, but would draw some simple shading lines to accentuate the volutes, and see how that looks.  I think stippling the rest of the lid might be a little “busy”?...  Nice work!   Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2020, 07:12:51 PM »
I vote stipple the rest.  The original is so well known it looks incomplete to my eye with just the center.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2020, 02:54:28 AM »
I like the way the stippling draws the eye to the centerline of the patchbox. Leave it.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Joey R

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2020, 11:47:11 PM »
I like Ed's idea of some shading the volutes. As the post suggests, just a opinion.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Daryl

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2020, 12:45:28 AM »
I thought the carving was very nicely accentuated by the stippling inside and plain surface outside.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2020, 10:51:44 PM »
Dave, if you're unsure whether to stipple the rest of the lid or not, take a fine point sharpie and do a dot pattern. Then post pictures and we'll tell you how you should do it.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2020, 01:29:58 AM »
Acer......Great idea !

On a personal preference note.....the original does nothing for me at all, buy I really like Shane Emig's version.  I would more densely stipple the all the background (in between and outboard of the scrolls) and do some light shading on the scrolls themselves per Ed's suggestion....
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2020, 02:22:34 AM »
Hi,
You guys are great!  Thank you all.  Here is the box in the stock.  I think it looks very effective, is consistent with the folk art of the time (1770s), and the lack of sophistication common in the engraving on long rifles of the time.  My objective is a historically plausible rifle without imposed modern tastes and styles.

I still have not decided about stippling the rest of the lid.  I think it looks very effective now but will use the sharpies to test that (great idea Tom!).  With respect to shading, no.  If it was a contemporary gun that I felt free to indulge my tastes, I would shade and refine the patch box design a great deal.  But that is not my objective and I am disciplined about historical context in design and decorative art, which I study a great deal.  A Schipper's style of shading and design, while very attractive and admirable, is not appropriate for this gun or even British guns from the same time period.  I admire Shane Emig's patch box engraving but it does not synchronize very well with the original and the volutes are too dramatic without historical precedent.  Again, thank you all for responding and please do not think I am not listening.  I am. Intensely.  I spend hours thinking about all of your comments and placing them in my decision tree.  If I fail to adopt your exact recommendations, it is not from lack of respect and appreciation.

dave